Vox AC30 C2X EL84 preference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox AC30 C2X EL84 preference?

Hey, I'm putting new EL84's in a Vox AC30 C2X, and I was curious what brand everyone prefers. I can't do NOS or anything crazy expensive. I usually use JJ's, but I'm hearing good things about EH. I find this forum to be home to the most knowledgeable techs on the internet (cough Enzo cough), so just wondering what you guys think. All opinions are much appreciated!

My favorite EL84 is a 6V6.

<ducks for cover>

I happy with the JJ. I'm using them in several cathode biased amps.
    I've had problems with the Chinese EL84 being microphonic.
    Last edited by bob p; 08-30-2017, 01:25 PM.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I'm loving my stash of 6p14p-k (6n14n-k?). It's the Rusky labeled el84 type and the "k" suffix means it was built and tested for mechanical stability. One of the only tubes I've found that sounds good and performs without rattle in cranked up combo amps. Hard to find in "matched" pairs so I just buy small lots (8 or 12 tubes on *bay) and match them close-ish for current at idle and when conducting full power.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

JJ is my first choice for EL84 these days. I shifted to Tung-Sol two years ago but got too many returns. I've had perhaps the best lifespan out of Sovtek, but customers prefer JJ.

Comment

Another vote for JJ's.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input. I was kinda leaning towards JJ's and that seems to be the majority vote from most people. Love this forum!!

Comment

Working...
            X