Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX Switcher Problem

Hi Guys
    the problem is i have this Mooer pedal switcher pc-L6 that has a problem the sound when running through it seems to be almost like a tremolo or intermittent power as if turning the volume up and down quickly i tried different power supplies and removed all fx so running straight through the unit into the amp but still the same, was working fine till yesterday wondered if it could be power connection on the unit its self don't mind opening it up but any clues what to look for anyone
    Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

I've not had one of these units for repair, but have worked on quite a few pedal switchers and here are some checks that I carry out;

1. Does the display brightness modulate with the sound?
    2. Make sure the unit is powered off the same mains socket/extension as the amp.
    3. Don't run the unit on top of, or in close proximity to the amp. Magnetic fields can interfere with the switcher's electronics.
    4. If possible, factory-default the unit to 'out of the box' programming.
    5. If the unit has switchable buffers, turn these off and compare with them turned on. Any difference?
    6. I test the signal path by looping every send/return with a patch cable and activating them all in 'live' mode (or whatever your manual calls it when you can use it as a simple stompbox array rather than pre-programmed loops) The unit should pass a clean signal if they're all on, or in any combination.

I don't know about your switcher, but many/most use relays to route the signal. You can sometimes hear the relays click if you hold your ear to it and switch. If yours is like this then the active electronics serve to operate the relays and the buffers, but have no other bearing on the signal. If there's an internal power supply problem I would expect either the control electronics to give erratic switching, or for the buffers to be affected. Equally, an internal fault could give rise to buffer problems and there's an unknown with those buffers - the signal through them could be controlled through semiconductors rather than relays. If by relays, then your entire signal path is 'hard-switched' and I can't easily see why the signal would be affected.

Then again, I have no knowledge of your unit and the signals could be routed purely electronically, rather than by elecro-mechanical relays.

Comment

pedal switcher problem

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
      Welcome to the forum.

I've not had one of these units for repair, but have worked on quite a few pedal switchers and here are some checks that I carry out;

1. Does the display brightness modulate with the sound?
      2. Make sure the unit is powered off the same mains socket/extension as the amp.
      3. Don't run the unit on top of, or in close proximity to the amp. Magnetic fields can interfere with the switcher's electronics.
      4. If possible, factory-default the unit to 'out of the box' programming.
      5. If the unit has switchable buffers, turn these off and compare with them turned on. Any difference?
      6. I test the signal path by looping every send/return with a patch cable and activating them all in 'live' mode (or whatever your manual calls it when you can use it as a simple stompbox array rather than pre-programmed loops) The unit should pass a clean signal if they're all on, or in any combination.

I don't know about your switcher, but many/most use relays to route the signal. You can sometimes hear the relays click if you hold your ear to it and switch. If yours is like this then the active electronics serve to operate the relays and the buffers, but have no other bearing on the signal. If there's an internal power supply problem I would expect either the control electronics to give erratic switching, or for the buffers to be affected. Equally, an internal fault could give rise to buffer problems and there's an unknown with those buffers - the signal through them could be controlled through semiconductors rather than relays. If by relays, then your entire signal path is 'hard-switched' and I can't easily see why the signal would be affected.

Then again, I have no knowledge of your unit and the signals could be routed purely electronically, rather than by elecro-mechanical relays.
      Hi thanks alot for the reply in answer to your check list 1 there is modulation on the display lights 2 used the same extension and tried different psu's which worked OK with other pedals and had rating of 1.5 amps 3 at least 2m from amp 4 tried reset 5 buffers on and off no difference
      haven't tried 6 yet but unit is true bypass and I've tried it with nothing connected except guitar in at one end and out to amp at other and still the same i'll try to add short video clip but not sure what i'm doing so may nit work, again really grateful for your trying to help

Comment

fx switcher problem

Originally posted by cyprussid View Post
        Hi thanks alot for the reply in answer to your check list 1 there is modulation on the display lights 2 used the same extension and tried different psu's which worked OK with other pedals and had rating of 1.5 amps 3 at least 2m from amp 4 tried reset 5 buffers on and off no difference
        haven't tried 6 yet but unit is true bypass and I've tried it with nothing connected except guitar in at one end and out to amp at other and still the same i'll try to add short video clip but not sure what i'm doing so may nit work, again really grateful for your trying to help
        sorry number 1 should have read there is no modulation on the display lights

Comment

schematics for the mooer pc-l6 switcher anyone

Comment

Hello. I read about a user who had the same problem. He noted that is the VTL5C optocoupler. The guy changed the component and fixed the switcher.

Comment

Working...
            X