Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not replace the "death" capacitor with a "Y" Safety capacitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not replace the "death" capacitor with a "Y" Safety capacitor?

I understand there are two types of safety capacitors. X capacitors go from hot to neutral, across the line while Y capacitors go from line to ground. Why not replace the infamous death cap with a Y safety cap? Thanks.

Several manufacturers do just that in current designs. Maybe not on a switch, but from line to ground, which is effectively the same thing.
    So I don't see it as any problem using one to replace the 'death cap' as you suggest. I think for most people though, it is too much bother, as just removing it altogether often does not introduce any objectionable noise or hum.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

déjà vu oddness!

Replace Death Cap with Safety Cap?

nearly the same post from 8 yrs ago! Good discussion!

Comment

Maybe it's just me but I get the feeling that I am starting to repeat myself.

Comment

what is the smalest value for this cap to be effective ?.
          Last edited by catalin gramada; 09-05-2017, 03:28 AM.
          "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

As with most things in Life, let alone Electronics, its value is a compromise.

Too large, it will tickle ; too small it won´t do much, pick your`poison.

Time tested values are around .047uF for 100-120V mains and no cap to .022 for 220-250V ones.

Personally I use .01uF on 220V mains to have a noticeable effect but no magic bullet.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
              Maybe it's just me but I get the feeling that I am starting to repeat myself.
              It's not just you.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I should have started my thread with, "Stop me if you have heard this one before."

I always thought the knees went first.

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
                  I always thought the knees went first.
                  I seem to have forgotten what goes first...

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                    I seem to have forgotten what goes first...
                    Well, we have an old Italian rhyme explaining "what goes on first" , often depending on age, sometimes on circumstance, but I guess it´s a little too gross to be posted here
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                    X