• Show
Clear All

• Hughes & Kettner Duotone Disassembley

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0669.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	871836

Got it this far but the chassis is still hung up on something. Anybody have any experience with this beast?

Are there any screws going up from the bottom of the chassis to the top of the cabinet, like in that Mesa from about a week ago? Usually used to keep the chassis from rattling on the top of the cab... it'd likely be a long machine screw, right in the center of the chassis underside.

I don't know, I'm just going off previous recent experience of others...

Justin

Edit: link to other thread: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t44876/
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

You shouldnīt have removed the silkscreened front panel, which is only decorative, but unscrewed the chassis which looks heavy (I see 2 transformers) so it must be well bolted to cabinet top, even maybe a couple side screws (Fender and others do that) .
      Also remove top handle, some have long screws which normally tpuch nothing but may prevent chassis sliding freely forwards and backwards.

*Some* manufacturers hide extra screws under corner protectors or to be more precise, use long ones both to hold one protector "ear" and to grab some chassis corner.

Quite unusual but not impossible: sometimes an excess in Tolex glue (say chassis was mounted on a freshly Tolexed cabinet) also glues chassis to covering, try sliding a thin knife blade between metal and Tolex.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Doesn't sound like fun:
        http://music-electronics-forum.com/t3432/
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Ok, so all top screws have to be removed, back tolexed "cover" must also be removed to free the path, then chassis slides backwards.
          They mention "tilting", I guess chassis edge hits top handle screws on the way back, so poster tilts it to avoid them, I suggested removing handle first but tilting might avoid that.
          He also complains about transformer and chassis sticking to speaker magnets, with due respect they are at least 4 inches away so he must have been quite sloppy handling for that to happen.

FWIW a classic Fender Twin Reverb chassis also slides backwards (front speaker panel is glued to cabinet), you also have to remove back cabinet top strip, so I donīt see the HK as "unusually complex" by comparison.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The handle screws penetrate a cover plate for the chassis. The chassis won't come out until that cover is free from the cabinet

Comment

Working...
            X