Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Special 212 - Broken Potentiometer Shaft, Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Special 212 - Broken Potentiometer Shaft, Help!

Hello All,
    New to this site and fairly new to guitar amps as well. Just finished troubleshooting a Marshall G10 MkII and discovered it needs a new volume potentiometer. I know, why bother?!? but it's a fun little practice amp and a little repair practice won't hurt.

The title explains my other potentiometer problem. A Peavey Special 212 with a broken "Resonance" potentiometer shaft. The original owner broke it and provided me with the knob. The resonance still works but it's a real bear to change it with virtually no shaft exposed.

Since I"m going to ordering a potentiometer for the Marshall G10, it would be great if I could also order the correct potentiometer for the Peavey at the same time. I'm trying to avoid disassembling the 212 since I use it quite a bit and would like to avoid the down time.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks,
    Pigseye

What do you want to know?

It is a 16mm 250kAB pot with bracket. Peavey part number 71190514. Order it straight from Peavey.

It appears that CEDist has them as stock number R-VPV-250KA-B. They are wholesale only, but you should be able to order anything CEDist sells through www.tubesandmore.com which is their retail division. But they have a minimum order, while Peavey does not.

And if someone comes along and tells you your amp is solid state so just throw it away, ignore him.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Wow! that was fast!

Hi Enzo,
      I really appreciate the quick response and have placed an order for the replacement pot from www.tubesandmore.com

Ha ha! on the solid state amplifier comment. I'm happy to have the Peavey 212, but hope to have a tube amp one of these days.

Thanks Again,
      Pigseye

Comment

There is an individual around here who like to sneer at peoples solid state amps. Without solid state audio gear, there would be no music industry today of any size.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

peavey 212 special problem

Hi Enzo

I see you are the amp doctor! Please can you help me. My 212special has been standing and when i turn on the power there is low sound.Could this be a dry joint?

Thanks Dusty

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          What do you want to know?

It is a 16mm 250kAB pot with bracket. Peavey part number 71190514. Order it straight from Peavey.

It appears that CEDist has them as stock number R-VPV-250KA-B. They are wholesale only, but you should be able to order anything CEDist sells through Antique Electronic Supply which is their retail division. But they have a minimum order, while Peavey does not.

And if someone comes along and tells you your amp is solid state so just throw it away, ignore him.

Comment

If you are saying that the amp constantly hums at a low frequency, then yes it could be a bad solder joint on the filter caps, or it could be a bad filter cap.

If you look at the speaker when you turn on the amp, does it push in or out and stay there while it hums? If it does, that is a sign of dc voltage on the speaker output and you should not leave the amp on, or you can burn out the speaker.

Comment

What he said.

Comment

212 special

thanks bill i will give what you say ago and let you know

dusty

Comment

Better yet, disconnect the speaker(s) and use a voltmeter to look for DC voltage at the speaker leads. Why risk flaming out the spkr coils?
                  The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Working...
                  X