No announcement yet.

Silent Marshall AS50D Acoustic Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before you jump to the transformer, check the solder joints on the IEC connector. It could be as simple as a poor connection issue.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Kidderman View Post
      I have no idea, the more technical stuff is beyond me. I'm simply following advice given as far as I can within my limited experience in order to try to establish where the problem lies before deciding how best to solve it.
      My comment was in regard to being able to measure above 200vac on your meter. I was rushing getting ready for work earlier in my post and just realized you were trying to measure the AC voltages on the secondary (not the primary). Sorry I did get confused... I even said it in my post too. "Uh... I am a little confused here... "
      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        Before you jump to the transformer, check the solder joints on the IEC connector. It could be as simple as a poor connection issue.
        Maybe, but the mains switch illuminates but worthwhile double-checking everything.

Your fuse is good - the reading you get is the resistance of the leads and is fluctuating because you don't have 100% contact. The reading you get on the mains inlet tells me the primary is open, or the leads connecting the primary are not making good contact.

You can check the primary resistance just to be entirely certain - I'll get a transformer out of stock later this morning and let you know what it should read.

Comment

The primary is tapped;

0v - Brown
          100v - Black
          117v - White
          230v - Blue

With the amp disconnected from the mains, take a resistance reading between the brown and blue leads. You should get around 46 ohms. Then take a reading between brown and black. This should read 10 ohms. If it reads open there's a high probability that the internal thermal fuse has blown. This cannot be replaced.

A tip on resistance readings - always short your probes together to make sure your meter reads zero, or close to zero (your lead resistance) before taking any measurements.

Comment

Thanks again, Mick. Tried tests as advised in your last reply. Readings appear open, so I've decided to order a replacement transformer. Replacing it looks to be pretty straightforward, as long as I'm careful to make the same connections as in the current setup.
            The transformer should arrive tomorrow. I'll post the outcome. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
              Maybe, but the mains switch illuminates......
              Oops. I missed that part.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

The replacement transformer arrived this morning. After making careful notes about which wires connected to which areas of the two boards, I fitted it. Surprisingly easy (for someone who hasn't got much of a clue). The amp works perfectly. I now own a pristine, fully-working AS50D which cost me about one third of the retail price. Big thanks to those of you who took the time to reply to my original post.
                Your advice enabled me to carry out the various tests and eliminate a number of possibilities before going ahead with replacing the transformer. I'm very grateful. Cheers.

Comment

FYI, on the Marshall AS50D amp

FYI, on the Marshall AS50D amp. I ran into a similar situation with no voltage to the rectifier. When I ohmed out the transformer it checked out ok. I discovered the crimp connectors on the wires were defective on at least 2. Resoldered all the crimp connections including the ones on the switch and it took care of the problem.

Comment

I've had these amps where the wiring hasn't been stripped at all - just inserted into the connector and crimped around and through the insulation. Kind of works like an IDC connector for a while until it eventually fails. The last few Fender Excelsior amps I've worked on had this problem as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidderman View Post
                      The replacement transformer arrived this morning. After making careful notes about which wires connected to which areas of the two boards, I fitted it. Surprisingly easy (for someone who hasn't got much of a clue). The amp works perfectly. I now own a pristine, fully-working AS50D which cost me about one third of the retail price. Big thanks to those of you who took the time to reply to my original post.
                      Your advice enabled me to carry out the various tests and eliminate a number of possibilities before going ahead with replacing the transformer. I'm very grateful. Cheers.
                      Got the same problem. Where did you get the transformer from please?

Comment

Try Marshall themselves - ring the main number and ask for spares. Whereabouts in Cheshire are you?

Comment

Have one, myself, and its the same description. No sound out, and lights up. Found the dual pushbutton switch on the right side of the front face of the amp, is defective. Mirrors, your same description. Now, looking for the part number to the switch, as it a dual pushbutton, (one piece, two switches stacked on top of each other) SW2

Comment

Since the job of the amp is to make sound, about half the parts in it could make it go silent if any failed.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                            X