Loose speaker magnet! Jenson C12K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose speaker magnet! Jenson C12K

Never seen this before! Friend brought me his Deluxe Reverb Reissue with some hardcore rattling on certain notes. Turns out the speaker magnet itself is loose, it doesn't rotate but it wiggles from side to side making a loud ticking noise at it knocks against the basket.

How is the magnet assembly (front plate, magnet, rear plate) attached to the basket? Is this anything that can be tightened/fixed? Seems like I could get some epoxy in there to at least stop it from moving.

I had this happen to some Celestion rocket 50s (my superbass was too much) If i remember right it was like swedged in on the basket therefore not practical to fix. I epoxied mine until i got new speakers

Comment

This usually happens when a cabinet is dropped or flips backward. I remember causing it in some rented PA cabinets (tower with four 12") It fell bacwards on concrete causing no cosmetic damage. The magnets actually sheared off of 2 speakers. I re-wired the cab so it would work when we returned it. Lol. But yeah it happens. I would try to wedge something in the space, whatever works, maybe an old Stanley Knife blade? Then fill the gap with epoxy. It might last 20 years like that.

Comment

When someone brings me a speaker cab and says he hears "something rattling around" inside, the first thing I think is a magnet sheared off a speaker basket.

Very rarely is it repairable, since usually the frame gets bent in the process. I agree with OD the thing was probably dropped or knocked over hard.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'd try shim & glue like olddawg suggested. The trick is getting the magnet positioned the same as it was originally so that the coil does not rub in the gap.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            I'd try shim & glue like olddawg suggested. The trick is getting the magnet positioned the same as it was originally so that the coil does not rub in the gap.
            And thatīs the problem.
            Speaker really needs to be demagnetized, or magnetic pull will make your life miserable.

Besides:if full magnetic assembly sheared off (itīs usually riveted to frame) , epoxying wonīt be strong enough although might last if NOT transported all over the place.
            Might survive in a Church or rehearsal studio, no further knocks or bumps.

Now if magnet ring unglued from either metallic disk, it will require demagnetizing or pull will not let you center it.

That said, and given the USA price, a new one is the short cheap solution.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I've had a similar problem with an old Celestion G12L-35. The magnet itself was slightly (< 1mm at the edges) wiggling. You could barely see it, but you could feel it.
              The magnet was resonating with certain notes; there was however no cone-rubbing. When you hold the magnet when playing, the noise stopped.
              I managed to glue the magnet all around and fix it; the rattling stopped since then. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by fastfolkert View Post
                I've had a similar problem with an old Celestion G12L-35. The magnet itself was slightly (< 1mm at the edges) wiggling. You could barely see it, but you could feel it.
                The magnet was resonating with certain notes; there was however no cone-rubbing. When you hold the magnet when playing, the noise stopped.
                I managed to glue the magnet all around and fix it; the rattling stopped since then. YMMV.
                Thanks, that's about the amount of wiggle I'm seeing with this - and I'm getting no rubbing. That being said, I've told my friend to replace the speaker completely - he gigs and tours a lot, and I don't want to be responsible for the speaker failing down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by waspclothes View Post
                  Thanks, that's about the amount of wiggle I'm seeing with this - and I'm getting no rubbing. That being said, I've told my friend to replace the speaker completely - he gigs and tours a lot, and I don't want to be responsible for the speaker failing down the road.
                  That's the best bet- replace it. For a proper repair, it would have to be demagnetized, re-glued/centered, and re-magnetized. And, if the actual magnet structure is broken, you can't even do that. That type of repair can only be done if the pole piece has come unglued from the magnet. If the magnet is broken, you are SOL. It's usually not cost effective on a guitar speaker anyway, but only on more expensive P.A. speakers.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yes, for reliable touring & gigging replace it. I wouldn't toss the old one, with shim/glue it should be a good candidate for stay at home type use.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                    X