Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mojotone 5f6a discrepancies......

Their schematic looks different than Leo's
    Specifically the location of the choke and I only see 1 rectifier tube. What's gives?

Technology & costs = current product(s).
    ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

There's only one rectifier tube in all of Leo's Bassman schematics except for the 5E6 & 5E6A.

As for the choke, Mojo's design looks a little more like what I'm used to, but I don't see where it'd blow anything up if you changed it. Leo's design looks to me a little odd, like is it a choke input or capacitor input, it seems to be both at the same time?

And Leo & Co. are not immune from mistakes.

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
        Leo's design looks to me a little odd, like is it a choke input or capacitor input, it seems to be both at the same time?
        This is a standard arrangement for when choke does not feed OT (plates), just everything after.
        The only purely choke input are where you have a much bigger choke that feeds everything.
        (you knew this )
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Indeed to all above... It's actually impossible to identify "discrepancies" without specific schematics. How many Bassmans were there? Which one is the Mojo supposed to be? etc.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Well, they <DO> specifically call it a "Tweed Bassman 5F6-A Kit," I would think that narrows it down a bit...

I also noticed some cap values are different. But I would expect that. I'm sure they <COULD> be more accurate, but paying an extra $300 for "proper value" electrolytic caps that were -20/+80% anyway...

Justin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

The model names are mostly a marketing tool.

I used to go to a local eatery every day for lunch. They had a "hamburger special" called the works-burger. Hamburger with all the tomato and stuff, french fries, side salad, and a basic dessert. I'd order the burger works, but sub a baked potato for the fries (made it seem more like a real meal), I subbed cole slaw for the salad as my preference. Instead of chocolate cake, they were happy to sub a cup of soup. I really liked their navy bean soup.

I often wondered if I could get away with then subbing a chicken patty for the beef burger. And philosophically wondered when it ceases to be a works burger.

So how many detail changes can one make to a 5F6A before it ceases to be one? Cap tolerance? Power cord? Rectifier? REsistor values? Bypass cap values? Power tube type?
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It's nice to provide links
                http://www.mojotone.com/Amp%20Kit%20...tion=overwrite
                http://schems.com/schematicheaven.ne...5f6a_schem.pdf
                Other than the use of modern standard part values, eg 22uF rather than 20uF, I can't see any difference? And as noted, in previous decades ecaps values tended to a rather slack tolerance to their nominal.
                My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  I used to go to a local eatery every day for lunch. They had a "hamburger special" called the works-burger. Hamburger with all the tomato and stuff, french fries, side salad, and a basic dessert. I'd order the burger works, but sub a baked potato for the fries (made it seem more like a real meal), I subbed cole slaw for the salad as my preference. Instead of chocolate cake, they were happy to sub a cup of soup. I really liked their navy bean soup.

I often wondered if I could get away with then subbing a chicken patty for the beef burger. And philosophically wondered when it ceases to be a works burger.
                  You remind me of this:

"Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Yes, oh yes...
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                    X