6ak6-tone-experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mozz View Post
    Make a 6cl6 pp amp. I'll mail you a few, i have a 100 and will never get to that project until about 2025.
    Too many watts! And what's up with that .65 amps of heater current? I'm planning a 2W amp here with about 40mA available from the HV wind and 1.2A from the filaments.

Looks like a neat tube. Supposed to process video with low distortion. I'll guess that's going to be at much higher frequencies than we deal with normally Still, could be a great tube for a pair of mono blocks and home listening
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Gnobuddy View Post
      ...for example, you can see that the output transformer is actually one of those inexpensive 70V audio line transformers. Given the strong bass in the MP3 clip, I wouldn't have guessed that - those little audio line transformers often have very low primary inductance compared to "real" valve OPTs, and there are frequent mentions online of thin bass in DIY builds because of that. But it seems the combination of OPT and speaker that Printer2 used has no shortage of adequate bass.
      Indeed! I started looking into it the moment I read the thread It seems there's a lot of useful iron out there for less $$$ than the boutique stuff. Of course that's because it's made by the barrel so guys can buy eight of them over the counter without falling over from sticker shock. That extra five percent of goodness from OT duty specific transformers starts to fade when you realize you can get a nearly equal unit to the task for ten to fifteen bucks!?!

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

You guys! With your milliwatts and such... Christ on a rubber crutch, are you practicing in the lobby of the municipal library? It's still a guitar amp and it SHOULD make some noise

No, you're not playing it cranked up at midnight. But it should still be fine with appropriate timing (read: wife isn't home right now, or whatever) but you still need that thing I talked about earlier. Acoustic feedback! It's part of what makes an overdriven amp sound right. The idea behind a two watt amp isn't that you can play it at midnight (or in the moonlight if you're at the AX84 site). Rather it's more like "Well, it's not a cranked fifty watt amp". That's got to be better. At some point you reach diminishing returns. I absolutely REFUSE to practice with headphones. That $h!t is worse than sex with a condom.

Comment

A-FRIGGIN-MEN TO ALL OF THAT!

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            It's still a guitar amp and it SHOULD make some noise
            I understand your point of view, it's a very popular one among electric guitar players.

But then you look around, and notice that all the surviving disciples of "the godfather of loud" - the ones who played through 50W and 100W and 200W guitar amps on stage, turned up to full - are now either deaf, or have severe hearing loss and tinnitus to torment them. (Imagine a sound like a small jet plane taking off inside your ear - all the time, all day, every day. )

Me, I enjoy music better if I don't have ringing ears and a headache - and hearing loss - at the end of the evening. Evolution never designed our ears to cope with 100 dB sound levels, never mind the 115 dB you can get from a 15-watt amp and a 103 dB sensitivity speaker. 200W amp? Horrors. You can probably hit 130+ dB with a 4x12 cab or two. That's loud enough to cause virtually instantaneous "permanent shift of hearing", as the medical profession calls this type of permanent hearing loss.

OSHA says you can tolerate 85 dB SPL for several hours a day - but most people don't realize that (a) that assumes dead silence for the rest of the 24 hour day, and (b) OSHA was heavily biased in favour of factory owners, who don't like to spend money on reducing SPL levels.

So the reality is that several hours of sustained 85 dB SPL music (which takes only 0.1 watt into a 95 dB speaker!) is loud enough to cause some hearing damage over time. No way around that, short of wearing earplugs - you can't argue with the limitations our evolutionary past wired into us.

Not trying to tell you what to do, of course. Just trying to look out for another musician.

Acoustic feedback! It's part of what makes an overdriven amp sound right.
            Throw a compressor (or distortion pedal) in the chain, turn up its gain, and you can get acoustic feedback without ear-splitting SPL. Using a compressor or limiter like this can be pretty interesting, I think it's easier to control the acoustic feedback this way.

-Gnobuddy

Comment

"Using a compressor or limiter like this can be pretty interesting, I think it's easier to control the acoustic feedback this way..."

Control? Where's the fun in that? Not to mention, CHEATING!

I think this can all be settled by acknowledging that we're all in this together, but we're all different. Myself? I'm more the "Sonic Youth Approach" than the "Santana Approach..."

And nothing is too loud when you had the chance to CRANK a Sovtek Mig-100, a 1978 JMP-100, a VT-40, and a Super Twin...

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Eh? Speak up! I couldn't hear you.?.

Yes I have mild tinnitus. Believe it or not you actually learn to ignore it at my level and I don't have any trouble with jumbling or peripheral noise. Sometimes you just have to gauge the level of damage against your lifespan I wink, but I'm not kidding. Live till you die or die so you can live. It's a choice. I deal with it every damn day since I'm a service industry contractor with multiple repetitive motion disorders

Whatever OSHA decides is going to be the lowest common denominator because they hate when people file law suits. Most ears are more resilient than that. I'm living proof if ever there was. And if I'm worried about a two watt amp (or even a fifteen watt amp) then my @$$ is a banjo. Damn the torpedoes (thanks Tom) I'm going to enjoy my guitar while I can.

Comment

Damn the torpedoes or give me deaf!

Justin

Comment

Say what?
                    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

then my @$$ is a banjo.
                      Come on, Chuck, surely you can pick something better than a banjo!

Which reminds me of a joke: What's perfect pitch?
                      Answer: A perfect pitch is when you throw a banjo in the dumpster, and it lands on an accordion!

I've got some tinnitus too - in my case, probably from driving a too-loud muscle car in my twenties. Hearing damage is cumulative, another reason I watch my exposure to high SPL these days.

Sorry to hear about the RSI - been there, done that, got to the point where I couldn't even drive a stick-shift without severe pain. I switched jobs, and stopped using computers almost entirely for a year or so. That let my arms, wrists, and hands recover enough to resume somewhat normal activities, cautiously at first.

It's been years now, but I still have to watch that I don't type too much, or spend too much time on high-speed guitar picking practice exercises.

-Gnobuddy

Comment

Yep. It's like that. Getting old I mean. Living with pain truly sucks, but you get use to it.?. It certainly beats the hell out of the alternative. That is, since the pain is chronic NOT living is the only way around it. I use anti inflammatory drugs, usually aspirin. I love opiates but I don't dare go there for that very reason. I'd over use and end up a dysfunctional addict. So... Strictly recreational there

Comment

Originally posted by Gnobuddy View Post
                          What's perfect pitch?
                          Answer: A perfect pitch is when you throw a banjo in the dumpster, and it lands on an accordion!
                          Other way 'round. The idea being, a heavy accordion will crush the banjo. A banjo landing on an accordion, there's a good chance both will survive. Say, did you ever leave an accordion in the back seat of your car and park it in downtown London?
                          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

A friend of mine picked up a banjo and cranked out the opening of Stairway on it. Unexpected, and a place I never thought a banjo would go.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                              I think this can all be settled by acknowledging that we're all in this together, but we're all different.

Justin
                              Indeed!

-Gnobuddy

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                                Other way 'round. The idea being, a heavy accordion will crush the banjo.
                                Okay. It's another low-IQ day for me, apparently!

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                                Say, did you ever leave an accordion in the back seat of your car and park it in downtown London?
                                A little confused here...am I missing something?

-Gnobuddy

Comment

Working...
                                X