Yamaha EMX2000 Conversion to Passive PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha EMX2000 Conversion to Passive PA

I have been given a mixing desk which is badly in need of a good clean but should go alright once I replace the blown fuse I found yesterday- I want to convert the 200W speaker output to the monitors and have a passive signal running to powered front-of-house speakers (800W per side). Any help please? Here is a video link to my primary inspection of the desk- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWLZBtkvlag

I'm not familiar with this particular mix/amp but there should be line outputs for each mix. You should be able to use them, and no "conversion" needed.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

There are (passive) line outputs for the monitors and (200W) line outputs for the mains- I need a lot more power for the mains than the 200W supplied by this particular mixer (and have that in my 800W powered PA speakers)- so I just need a signal to go from the desk to my powered PA speakers without losing the use of the sliders/potentiometers. I would like to be able to power the backline/monitors with the 200W amp- can I just swap the signal output from the monitors with the mains running into the amp? (The mains line-outputs would then become the line-outs for the monitors and vice-versa)

Comment

Yes!

On the rear panel on the right are two jacks labelled Outout L and R next to the foot switch jack. All you need to do is connect these to your powered speakers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha 2000.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	847391

Connect your backline/monitors to the speaker outputs.
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

To assign the mixers power amps to monitors, patch mon1 and mon2 outputs to PAMP IN L&R jacks.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
            Yes!

On the rear panel on the right are two jacks labelled Outout L and R next to the foot switch jack. All you need to do is connect these to your powered speakers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45224[/ATTACH]

Connect your backline/monitors to the speaker outputs.
            Yeah- I kind of figured that one out- and then I can run each monitor as MON1 MON2 MONO on the sliders with ST1 slider still in operation (and ST2 control for another PA line out)

Comment

Apparently the fuse had already been replaced since the desk crashed- I'm going to have to start from the beginning and maybe replace the power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                To assign the mixers power amps to monitors, patch mon1 and mon2 outputs to PAMP IN L&R jacks.
                Cheers- that might work.

Comment

If you want 2 monitor mixes like that.
                  Whatever you patch into the PAMP IN jacks will over-ride the setting of the power amp assign switch.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Power supply problem

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                    If you want 2 monitor mixes like that.
                    Whatever you patch into the PAMP IN jacks will over-ride the setting of the power amp assign switch.
                    Any tips on where I should start to test the power supply? Will I need a variac for this job? I'm still considering removing the amp and making it run as an unpowered desk.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomJRogers View Post
                      Any tips on where I should start to test the power supply? Will I need a variac for this job? I'm still considering removing the amp and making it run as an unpowered desk.
                      How do you know whether it's power supply or power amp problem? Has the fuse blown again since you've replaced it?

If you bring up power with a variac it's sensible to monitor the current with an ammeter. No ammeter? We have directions how to build and use a light bulb current limiter as a sticky.

Let's not go about rebuilding power supplies or amps until proven necessary.

If the power amps are shot your proposed solution of removing them may be a good way to go.
                      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                        How do you know whether it's power supply or power amp problem? Has the fuse blown again since you've replaced it?

If you bring up power with a variac it's sensible to monitor the current with an ammeter. No ammeter? We have directions how to build and use a light bulb current limiter as a sticky.

Let's not go about rebuilding power supplies or amps until proven necessary.

If the power amps are shot your proposed solution of removing them may be a good way to go.
                        I don't have any equipment besides a multi-meter and a soldering iron- but I will be looking at buying some new gear as required. I would really like to just run the desk without the amp so if any help can be given in that regard then it would be much appreciated- my next project will probably be using the (uninstalled) amp to build a 400W bass head.

Comment

And I don't have any replacement fuses right now- have to wait until I get into town.

Comment

Very little info supplied so far, but it looks like te power amp, or *maybe* the power supply is damaged, and blowing fuses.
                            IF so, new fuses will also blow, unless you repair the main problem.
                            Blowing fuses is a symptom, not the cause of the problem.

If your mixer is built as 3 well separated systems, such as preamp/power amp/power supply, then you might unplug just the power amp board and run just the mixer, fed from the power supply, canīt be more precise until somebody posts the schematic.

Just to save time, search for it and post it here.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Here is the SM: yamaha_emx-2000_sm.zip

Comment

Working...
                              X