Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot for Arion SCH-1?

Hi all,

Not my regular haunt... does anyone have a go-to for esoteric & obsolete pedal parts? I am looking for a 100kB (linear) pot w. a ~12mm body for my beloved Arion chorus... Shaft I can try to kludge if needed. I'm going to contact Boss after checking some of my unused pedals for potential retrofits; maybe Boss has something that will work. Even better, anyone got a junker sitting around that you'd let go?

I'd rather avoid the huge parts distributors if possible, just due to my technical ineptitude in perusing their catalogs....

Thanks,

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    Hi all,

Not my regular haunt... does anyone have a go-to for esoteric & obsolete pedal parts? I am looking for a 100kB (linear) pot w. a ~12mm body for my beloved Arion chorus... Shaft I can try to kludge if needed. I'm going to contact Boss after checking some of my unused pedals for potential retrofits; maybe Boss has something that will work. Even better, anyone got a junker sitting around that you'd let go?

I'd rather avoid the huge parts distributors if possible, just due to my technical ineptitude in perusing their catalogs....

Thanks,

Justin
    Can you work with this?
    https://www.taydaelectronics.com/cat.../?q=100k+b+pot

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Nosaj,

If you can say you've ordered from them with good results in the recent past, I think I found something there that should work... my main limiting factor is the 12mm or smaller body, and I think one of the little green-bodied cube-shaped one would work. I'll still see if Boss might have something, too, as I've got a history with them... Thanks for the parts supplier option!

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Nosaj,

If you can say you've ordered from them with good results in the recent past, I think I found something there that should work... my main limiting factor is the 12mm or smaller body, and I think one of the little green-bodied cube-shaped one would work. I'll still see if Boss might have something, too, as I've got a history with them... Thanks for the parts supplier option!

Justin
        They're easy to deal with and have lots of different useful things. You can get a ton of stuff for under $20, Resistors, transistors, pedal enclosures. I've used them quite a bit. They used to ship from Thailand( 4-5 years ago) but now you can get stuff in a few days. I recommend them.

nosaj

Comment

I'm a Tayda regular. Just last week a batch of switches and C-taper pots turned up from Thailand (I'm in the UK) inside of 8 days. They're very good, reliable and I don't hesitate to buy from them.

Just look out for discount/coupon codes and you can save a few more %.

Comment

I found three that MIGHT work, so I ordered three of each. The prices are cheap enough, I might as well keep spares. I ended up getting the little square-bodied Alphas, because I needed a tiny footprint on the board. So, I'll see how it turns out when they get here!

Thanks for the supplier hint. Easy.

Justin

Comment

I found three that MIGHT work, so I ordered three of each. The prices are cheap enough, I might as well keep spares. I ended up getting the little square-bodied Alphas, because I needed a tiny footprint on the board. So, I'll see how it turns out when they get here!

Thanks for the supplier hint. Easy.

Justin
              At prices like those it's hard not to get parts to build pedals you've wanted to hear.

nosaj

Comment

Just a follow-up: pedal is fixed. Glad I got three pots; took some trial & error to make one fit, and I had to do some parts-hacking, and also to graft the old long shaft onto the new one. I cut most of the old shaft off, and the top portion of the new pot' s shaft. Both were hollow, so with a bit of drilling, I was able to make a big enough hole to hold a headless screw. Then I melted the two bits of plastic together and straightened the lengthened shaft. The shaft is a little stiff in a guide hole, but I can ream that out later.

In the process of work, turns out I nicked a trace on the PCB, which made the Speed stick on 10. After some continuity checking and looking for solder bridges (which I also had), I found the cut trace and tacked in a wire. And now all is well with my beloved chorus pedal! Thanks for the supplier again - that opens up some doors.

Now, to fix my redplating Concert... And I may take the EF86 out of my last build - they're getting to be a real P.I.T.A.

Justin

Comment

I see quite a few of these pedals that have been re-boxed (WHY????) and rebranded with 'boutique' names. The only upside I can see is that the pots get replaced with regular types in this process.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                    I see quite a few of these pedals that have been re-boxed (WHY????) and rebranded with 'boutique' names. The only upside I can see is that the pots get replaced with regular types in this process.

strategic gooping (covering brand and model on PCB)

plus sanding and repainting box (it sure helps a lot having an Art oriented girlfriend):

can easily turn a $40 pedal into a $300 one.

Like PT Barnum said ........
                    By the way, I am re-listening to his audiobook, while I am doing something else.
                    I recommend it, quite feet-on-the-ground guy:
                    https://librivox.org/the-art-of-mone...by-p-t-barnum/

just as a sample: http://www.archive.org/download/art_...arnum_64kb.mp3
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                    X