'66 Hofner Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '66 Hofner Bass

I have a '66 Hofner bass bridge humbucker p/u in for a rewind. If anyone knows the size of the wire, I'd really appreciate the info.

Mic's out at ~ .0023" (with insulation), so I see that as AWG 44. Looks like the red of SPN. Always nice to have confirmation.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by kayakerca; 10-31-2017, 06:57 PM.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Hi Jim

0.05 mm 44 awg is right 4500 - 5000 turns should get you in the ball park. No wax bath if you want to stay vintage original. Most of the old Höfner pickups are starting to fail. I think the flux they used is eating the copper away. If they have the alnico magnets they sound pretty good if you over wind them a bit. The red tape is a real pain to get off and the colour goes all over your fingers. Surprisingly the tape is still sticky after all these years. Have fun.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Thanks Andrew. Yes, that red tape is something special. I could hold my hand closer to the heat gun air flow than I could hold the pickup's red tape to the air flow before it would start to melt.
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

Working...
      X