Dented electrolytic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dented electrolytic

Should a dented electrolytic be discarded? Like in the scenario of dropping one or if the capacitor goes in a clamp, clamping the cap too tightly and denting the exterior. It seems like it would make the cap more likely to internally short but I am just guessing

Judgment call. I've used some lightly dented 'lytics with no ill effect. Sometimes a couple get slightly mashed when shipped in a bag of 50 or 100. I'm not keen on throwing profits away. Others may disagree, no matter.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

If it's a mountable radial type can cap there's a good possibility that the can is over sized so the dent isn't even affecting the actual capacitor. Unfortunately that info may not be floating around so you'd need to ruin one anyway to find out.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2042.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	847673

Hmmmm I suppose it's not too bad. If it blows up when I flip the switch I'll report back if possible

It is united chemicon U92 series

Comment

Oh my! That's a bad clamp design for use on a can cap. One would need to be really careful to avoid over tightening.

Comment

So this is a new build? I think that the clamps are the wrong size for the diameter of the caps. That's why the can was dented that way.

Comment

Yep, clamp must be bent with pliers to fit cap good. That's why it has the long screw and the first one I did (on left) is done poorly and the 2nd one is bent to the right proportion.

The problem is this cap (my original choice) is 35mm diameter and 5000 hr life but this cap is 30mm diameter and 15,000 hr life. the problem is that 35mm clamps are everywhere for cheap but 30mm clamps not so much.

Anyone know a good source for 30mm clamp? All clamps on mouser seem to be $3-7 each. 35mm (1.375") clamps on CE are $.90 each and 25mm (1") clamps that can be bent and use a longer screw to fit 30mm caps are $1.60 each.

Comment

Got this amp back a year later cuz it was making a cracking noise.a ground connection (solid core wire, replaced with stranded)was broken but still making connection, intermittently breaking connection when the amp would vibrate

Anyway, since it was here I decided to replace the dented electrolytic since I was already embarrassed my friends amp had a problem And I didn't want to chance him having any other weird thing happen

Chopped the cap with a dremel. There's a LOT of room in
                THtere. The dent would not have been an issue

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2579.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	851780Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2580.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	851781Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2581.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	851782

Comment

Well I expect you bench tested the amp before sending it out. Still, good on you for replacing it. You'll see above that I mentioned the probability of extra space:

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  If it's a mountable radial type can cap there's a good possibility that the can is over sized so the dent isn't even affecting the actual capacitor. Unfortunately that info may not be floating around so you'd need to ruin one anyway to find out.
                  The caveat being that you couldn't know without cutting into one. And you did. And posted pictures Now you know. And so do we.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

The dent would have messed up the whole 'space charge' thing anyway.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well you'd need to calculate the speed of electrons (35MPH) against the distance minimization caused by the gap. Then counter that with how much the accelerated decoupling will "smear" notes due to interactions with the prior and following stages. The opportunities for both NFB and positive FB exist! It's probable that a vortex leading to the center of creation could exist within the matrix of these conditions and unintentionally contact aliens. Aliens that will duplicate our leaders and use them as a conduit for collusion. Soon our understandings will be so clouded by these peripherals that we won't even recognize the removal of our spleens. Used as sources of mitocondria by the aliens to replicate one in ten of us. That one being responsible for skewing and aligning the decisions of the other nine to benefit the new intellectually superior hybrids.

Bunker up now!!! The less you know about guns, radios, reloading ammo, zombies and the speed of electrons the more likely you are to be ENSLAVED OR EATEN!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                        ...the more likely you are to be ENSLAVED OR EATEN!
                        Are we back to the sushi thread?
                        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Sorry Chuck, Jusrin couldn't help it!

Justin
                          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                            Sorry Chuck, Jusrin couldn't help it!

Justin
                            Fair enough. I'm supposed to be ignoring the issue, right? That post is hardly in keeping with that ideal.

Comment

Oh, I didn't have a serious bit in me with that one...

Justin
                              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
                              X