Dented electrolytic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    Oh, I didn't have a serious bit in me with that one...

Justin
    I know. But I can be serious and keep a sense of humor too or I'd never survive. I don't honestly know how anyone without a sense of humor does.?. Glad you took it back though. You wouldn't want to be part of the statistics regarding dislikes that LT demonstrated in that other thread. A dislike given within the ranks. Like that guy who takes a crap too close to the camp ground
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      Well I expect you bench tested the amp before sending it out.
      I once talked to soldano on the phone and he said he did 48 hour burn in before any amp shipped out. I assume that means a signal or radio or stereo being played into a dummy load. I sometimes do that for 5 or 10 hours. Leave the amp on overnight or just let it run all day. The best thing I think though, and I can only do this because I only make an amp here or there, it to use it for a few band practices before sending it out. That way it gets cranked full volume for 2-3 hours at a time for a few times, and also feels all the vibration of sitting on top of the cab. A year later that cap was still not a problem, but it was on the bench anyway so I just replaced it since I had more on hand right there anyway. When I built it there was no extra caps and no time to get more becuas it was wanted for a show.

Comment

That's sort of how I do it too. Except I'm not in a band anymore. I practice loud at home and I have a local guy with a studio so I get to hear it in a mix too. Since I make customs I need to put them through a lot of paces during the "tweaking" process and I just consider that the burn in. But yeah, you HAVE TO hear it in a mix. On some early mods for myself I just tweaked until I liked what I heard. No mix test. Then take it to a club and all of a sudden the bass is woofy and the amp won't cut through!?! Pretty embarrassing when you're standing there with an amp you were proud of and it doesn't get the job done. Daz is one of our regulars that has given up on building and gone to digital amps because he had that problem repeatedly. I learned my lesson first time out
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Yep, I've done that too -- dialed in my amp to sound TOTALLY AWESOME when I play by myself and am tweaking it, then get to practice and you're bummed 30 seconds into the first song.

it made me think,

Q: What sounds the best?

A: what sounds best is when you can hear the amp good

Most of the time it seems to not be synonymous with the best "tone" when you listen to the amp by itself and analyze the sound

Comment

Working...
          X