Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My tube amps sound better the longer they're on..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My tube amps sound better the longer they're on..

When I power my amps up, they sound pinched an nasally. The longer I play them, the more natural and detailed the sound gets. The highs are pleasing, the lows are warm... U get it..

They're must be something about the whole amp getting warm; caps and resistors, wiring that effects this and not just the tubes. I was hoping someone could explain this.

Darn right there is. Sometimes I leave mine in the car all day with the Windows up to accelerate the process. (I mostly play heads - no "what about your speakers?" please!

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Many things in your amps change between cold and warmed up. This could well be what you're hearing. I won't mention speakers, but I will mention ears. Listener fatigue, even at low levels can have a profound affect on perception. I'll guess it's a combination of both. One way to tell would be to do like Justin and leave the amp in a hot car (or similar, sunny window. hot day, etc.) Then see if the process goes faster than a couple of hours. If it doesn't then listener fatigue is probably part of the equation. Most guitar amps warm up just fine idling or cranked because there's not a profound difference in current for many designs. So you could also pay attention next time you're playing louder than average. If the process happens a little faster on those days then, again, listener fatigue could be part of it.

I mention this because as a designer I have done A LOT of listening at volume. There only so much you can take before you can't trust what you hear to be accurately considered. Many times I've thought I was on or off the mark during listening tests when I knock off for the day. Then the next day things are different without any other changes but time between the tests. I've noticed this is most likely to happen with long listening/testing sessions.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by leadfootdriver View Post
        When I power my amps up, they sound pinched an nasally. The longer I play them, the more natural and detailed the sound gets. The highs are pleasing, the lows are warm... U get it..

They're must be something about the whole amp getting warm; caps and resistors, wiring that effects this and not just the tubes. I was hoping someone could explain this.
        Umm... bias current rising as the tubes heat up?

Comment

FTR, I have big amps that I play at home at low volumes, so I wonder if that has something to do with what I'm experiencing.

I know all about the Loudness Curves and how our ears hear things differently at louder volumes. When playing loud, the amp sounds and feels totally different than in the house..

So that said, last weekend I did a test where I recorded a riff after power up. I played for an hour and then recorded the same riff on another track to compare them. You can hear the difference no question. The warmed up take is even slightly louder.

Comment

Pinched and nasally? That sounds like a problem.A tube amp does get better as things start cooking,power tubes mostly.How long does it take before the "pinched and nasally" thing stops? It should be almost instantly.Once the tubes voltages are applied it should sound normal,not pinched and nasally.It will get better as things start to cook.How old are the tubes?What kind of amp?

Comment

Originally posted by leadfootdriver View Post
              ...last weekend I did a test where I recorded a riff after power up. I played for an hour and then recorded the same riff on another track to compare them. You can hear the difference no question. The warmed up take is even slightly louder.
              I'll be the first to point out that a good player has better tone using the same amp as a mediocre player. I don't suppose an hour into practice you were a little hotter than when you first started
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Here is a theory (more or less what Chuck said):
                You start out, and after a while your ears get used to the level, and you turn up some. Your ears get more middle-y the lower the volume. Hence, at first your sound is more to the middle, and as you get louder, your end responses widen out.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

There are many psychological factors that are in play here.
                  One sure-fire way to eliminate all of them is to record some material directly onto disk (tape?) and then with all levels consistent, record a pass through the amp at first turn on and then after letting it sit and idle for a few hours. If you think it needs to be "played through" to really warm up, go for it but resist the temptation to tweak a knob during the session Be sure to record a pass of exactly the same material used for the initial 'control' pass.
                  Another test that can be performed if done this way onto a DAW, is to time-align the two passes, invert phase on one, and mix them together. any changes in the amp can then be really highlighted.

edit: I personally have never been able to do this because I can't resist the urge to change the amp's controls even when I've told myself NOT to.
                  If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                  If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                  We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                  MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Folks, this is simple. It's well known that the girls all get prettier at closing time. Well, the amps sound better too.

Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Do you like vintage ?
                      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Tone improves with time
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Besides your ear fatigue, heat increases resistance and causes bias shift, so the way the circuit functions changes slightly with increasing heat.

If you get a 1959 plexi superlead really pumping, you'll notice that the amp sounds supremely awesome as the quad of EL34s light up cherry red (just before you smell that smokey smell) LoL
                          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
                          X