Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewinding a Jazz Bass pickup

Hi,

i must rewind the neck pickup of a 1972 Fender Jazz Bass.

What is the correct wire to use? 42 AWG Formvar or 42 AWG Plain Enamel ?

In the 1970's are the bridge pickup reverse wound and reverse polarity ?

Thank you

Nobody ?

Comment

you should beable to find the wind direction from the pup that your going to rewind, assuming you didnt take to old wire off already

Comment

Thank you

bit the old wire was taken off

In 1970's can the wire be Plain Enamel for Jazz Bass?

Comment

Check this out! http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pickups.html

Awesome, huh?

Comment

Yes, thanks you

It's written Formvar for Jazz Bass, but the period is unknown

Did Fender swith wire's insulation in the 1960's as it did for strat pickups?

Comment

From what I have heard, the late 50's were formvar, and they later switched to plain enamel, and then to polysol. I would guess that you should be winding with polysol to be accurate, but perhaps one of the posters here who are more knowledgeable about what wire types were used on vintage pickups can chime in.

Greg
              Last edited by soundmasterg; 10-24-2007, 06:24 PM.

Comment

You might also check the FAQs page over at the Seymour Duncan page, there's a surprising amount of info tucked into that page. I don't know how accurate it is but who cares?

Comment

Thank You
                  i dind't know this FAQ on Duncan's web site,
                  very interresting
                  i think i've found my answer

Comment

Herro honorabre gent. Fender J Bass pickup change in 1972. All 1972 J Bass pickup wound with 42 black plain enamel. Early 72, looking from top, neck pickup wound crockwise like Strat pickup with north up, bridge pickup wound
                    countercrocklise with south up. Late 72, put 1/2" masking tape on magnet first and wind both pickups crockwise but use inside of coil for hot (white) on
                    blidge pickup. For authentic clappy 70's sound, use 7,800 turns on both pickups, for better sound, use 9,000 - 9,500. During 1972, Fender change position of blidge pickup further from blidge, so spacing of magnets get closer too! Me hope this help.

Sam

Comment

Thank You Sam Lee Guy
                      Your help will be very usefull for the rewinding
                      i have NOS plain enamel, i think it will be fine

Comment

Sam's the man!

Here's a 71 Jazz the my customer Dan brought in for me to wind him some new pickups with the 67 wire last week. We took originals out and the wire sure looks like the same as my 67... Made him some new ones and he put the originals away.

Original Pickups next to the 67 Wire Spool..

www.wbpickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by fidule View Post
                          Nobody ?
                          Thank Budda Sam lee Guy stepped in ! I didn't even read the post until now as I was expecting Dave Schwab to step in with the answer straight away.
                          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                            Thank Budda Sam lee Guy stepped in ! I didn't even read the post until now as I was expecting Dave Schwab to step in with the answer straight away.
                            I dislike Jazz Basses with a passion! Stupid skinny neck... The body is OK, but give me a Precision Bass anyday.

This whole Jazz bass and SVT fad is really annoying. I guess originality is dead.
                            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                              I dislike Jazz Basses with a passion! Stupid skinny neck... The body is OK, but give me a Precision Bass anyday.

This whole Jazz bass and SVT fad is really annoying. I guess originality is dead.
                              I had to laugh when I read that David. I really hate those skinny necks too. My big a$$ fingers are too big for the necks. Very uncomfortable...
                              www.wbpickups.com

Comment

Working...
                              X