Help me find an amp with this tube compliment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find an amp with this tube compliment

I recently purchased an old Rauland Model 1810 PA amplifier for $10. I am considering converting it to a guitar amp. The tube compliment is 6SC7 preamp, 6SN7 preamp, 6SL7 phase invertor, 5Y3 rectifier and pair of 6V6 output tubes. Do you know of a guitar amp that uses these tubes?

Thanks!

Some of those tubes were used in various old Ampeg circuits, that might be a good place to start looking.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

What g1 said. The late-40s/early-50s Ampegs - the Portaflex seriesnin particular come to mind. Don't be fooled - those things are NOT just for Bass. There's also the old "Guitaramp" & "Accordiamp" series, and the Jet/Rocket/Mercury. My first Reverberocket (a 63) was all octal. Or any Fender from before the tweed "D" series, old Gibson's from the 40s & 50s...

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I do associate those tubes with JAZZ amps, since it WAS the "period-correct" music of the day...

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

If the tubes aren't fresh you can make it any number of 6v6 amps. Tube sockets are cheap and 12ax7s plentiful. You can also use an SS rectifier.

Comment

Make it easier for you:
          1) post the *original* schematic.
          2) based on that, probably not too much modding (basically changing EQ and maybe some gain) will turn it into "a" Guitar amp, although maybe not *exactly* a given Fender/Ampeg/Gibson, probably a hybrid of them, yet good sounding on its own.

Faster / easier than full stripping and rebuilding from the ground up ... Which of course is also an option.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

A 5a3 Deluxe has everything but the 6sn7. I'd probably start by changing all the caps, add a 1/4 input and a 3 prong power chord and see how it sounds. I'm really a novice at this so others may have better advice.
            Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Here is the schematic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Raulland Schematic.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	847756
              Attached Files

Comment

From looking at the schematic, I'd suggest fully bypassing the first stage cathode with a 22/25u (or equivalent) cap. That will buy you a little noise immunity, and a little gain. Looks kinda like any 50's circuit (guitar or otherwise) to me.
                If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I'll second eschertron. Heck, add one to the second stage too just for shits & grins. Easy to take out if it proves to be too much. I did it to an old Lectrolab - went from Jazz Amp to Neil Young Amp.

Justin
                  "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                  "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                  "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
                  X