Display issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display issues

Dammit. My HP W2072a monitor seems to have gone to some odd resolution. I don't know how to resolve it.

I usually let the computer run, it goes to sleep when not in use. I came in yesterday, and it had powered down. I powered up, and the screen had bloomed to like twice its size, Icons are large. FOnts look thick and less crisp.

I cannot seem to reset the monitor, it says 1600x something resolution recommended, but can't find a way to set it there. I use factory reset, it tells me that is recommended, but won;t go there.

Pretty sure some of the stuff on my desk got up under the monitor and pressed a button or two on the bottom edge, but what? I got past the OSD Lockout (or something like that) by reading the manual for the monitor.

None of the resolution settings in Windows solves this. The monitor magnifier option is OFF.

I'll keep poking, I am pretty sure it is a monitor configuration issue.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Are you windows 7 ?
    If you are looking at your desktop and right click, then click on personalize, does that get you to any settings that help?
    (look for 'display settings')
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

No, I am on the goddam Windows 10. I right click the desktop and the settings choice just brings up the same settings window as the startup menu one.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Don't know if it will help, but you might try booting with the monitor disconnected, then shut down and reconnect. Maybe it will do the self set-up over again.
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Didn't think of that, why not. The restore factory settings seems to launch but make no changes.

Comment

I've not used windows 10, here is something about changing resolution.
            https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...splay-settings

Comment

Yeah, it doesn't get me back where I belong.

problem is, I will find the answer eventually, but will promptly forget it, and then it will happen again.

Comment

When you said you did a factory reset, that was on the HP monitor?

Comment

Here's some tips on google.
                  https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8
                  Here's some youtube stuff.
                  https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...lution+problem
                  having more than one computer, makes it easier to fix them.
                  You can use one to search problems.
                  I do it regularly with linux, but I'm out of the loop on windows.
                  GL,
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Yes, reset was on the HP monitor.

In my ignorance, it seems to me the monitor has shifted itself to a different mode, like the old 486 computers used, I forget the acronym. VGA or some such maybe?

Comment

If you can't change the display resolution in the display settings, you can try looking for driver updates or just uninstall the drivers and restart... this is all done from display settings by scrolling down and clicking "display adapter properties" then clicking the driver tab.. Just uninstalling and restarting should work if it's a generic video card that came with an off the shelf PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Jx__xnz0I

Comment

In case this gives anyone an idea, the user manual for the monitor:
                        Attached Files

Comment

I wonder if OSD lockout is engaged, if it will ignore your factory reset request?

edit: never mind, I see that is one of the first things you checked.
                          Last edited by g1; 11-24-2017, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                            Are you windows 7 ?
                            If you are looking at your desktop and right click, then click on personalize, does that get you to any settings that help?
                            (look for 'display settings')
                            Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                            No, I am on the goddam Windows 10. I right click the desktop and the settings choice just brings up the same settings window as the startup menu one.
                            @Enzo, you couldn't be more right, Windows has truly become a nightmare. I have worked in I.T. for many years and Windows just becomes worse and worse with each new edition.

Sometimes fiddly little things are different on a per installation basis. But on the desktop that I have Win10 installed on in the other room, the right-click menu from the Desktop has 'Personalize' but also has 'Display Settings'. Under 'Display Settings' there is a drop-down that allows for changing resolutions.
                            If that is no help I would check the 'Device Manager' to make sure that the display drivers haven't gone wonky. run 'devmgmt.msc' from the Start Menu make sure there are no yellow triangles showing driver issues.
                            beyond that, setting the resolution will depend on the type of video processor in use. Most likely, AMD, Intel, or NVidia. Each of those manufacturer makes and installs there control panel software that will also let you adjust your resolution.

I just noticed also that you said that it had powered down over night. If it was a hard power off, is there any chance that it restarted in 'safe mode'?

And lastly (should absolutely have been firstly) did your restart the machine? It drives me nuts, but that actually solves more problems with Windows PCs than you could ever imagine.
                            "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle

Comment

yes, I have cycled power. I had shut the thing down the normal way with the shutdown function in the start menu.

My image is now way larger than the screen, so to speak. The display settings in Windows mostly allow me to make it even larger, but not smaller.

I will be checking the drivers.

I remain convinced the problem is the monitor itself. It keeps recommending the 1600x800 mode, but can;t seem to get itself there.

I know in the past when the OSD lockout message happened, that something had gotten wedged up under the bottom edge of the monitor, pressing some of the buttons there. SImilar to a cell phone getting "butt dialed."

Comment

Working...
                              X