mid-50s gibson transformers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mid-50s gibson transformers

if you know what makes and models of transformers gibson used in 1956, i need to know i'm trying to design and build the 2x10 amp for harp that gibson should have in the mid 5os also, any design suggestions, with explanation would be much appreciated thanks

50's Gibson amp parts possible supplier...

http://www.buffaloamps.com/index.html

I think he gets the iron from the ever-reasonable Heyboer, but spec-wise Gibson used marginally-rated components from all the models I owned.
    Their OT's for models like the GA-6 were 10-12W small-frame units like found on Princeton Reverbs but without the end-bell covers, and paper-bobbin, wax impregnated. The OT's on GA-77 (2x5881@35W) were the same size as Pro-reverb units, and really put out maybe 28 watts. The key is limited HF and LF response which was achieved more by financial limits vs. engineering specification! Ask for -6dB @ 40hZ, and HF extension to -3dB @16-18khz and you'll be close! Don't forget to throw in "and under 25.00 each in qty 10"!!!!

IMHO the key to a good harp amp is having the ability of the preamp to handle input blasts of 2-4V p-p from hot harp mics! usually a guitar-oriented input squishes out pretty quick.

HTH,
    Alexander
    Retrodyne Amplification
    Cheers,

Alexander
    Austin Texas
    www.retrodyne-austin.com

Comment

Working...
    X