Thread: Chasing transportation

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 560/15
    Given: 456/13

Chasing transportation

I have seen lots of times (and done it myself) people chasing a just departed train or bus ... but ... chasing a plane by jumping from a *mountain*?

Watch these men jump from one of Europe's highest peaks and land right into a flying plane

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/0
    Given: 46/0
    Wow! That's just insane!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 427/1
    Given: 334/0
    That's nuts!..........for both the plane and the jumpers. One miss into the propeller and it's over for all of them. No thanks. I'll board the old fashioned way.

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    That's nuts!..........for both the plane and the jumpers. One miss into the propeller and it's over for all of them. No thanks. I'll board the old fashioned way.
    Hey, be positive !!!
    One miss and ground onlookers will have both ground beef for their patties and a nice fire to cook them

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 892/5
    Given: 0/0
    I remember a time there was a prop plane running at the local airport. A lady was standing in front of it and backed into the spinning propeller. Disaster.

Oh ,come on: Disaster...

I'll be here all week.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 293/6
    Given: 270/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Groan.

Get this guy off the stage. We came to hear Death Cab for Cutie.

Last edited by rjb; 11-30-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 219/1
    Given: 546/1
    Getting the local Burbank bus to stop out front of CenterStaging at night, if a different driver took over for my regular bus driver....they don't want to stop. I often have to wander into the left lane and stand in front of the on-coming bus to flag it down so they will stop.. At this point, I could stand to win a lawsuit if they refuse and just run me over.

Bad enough during the daytime. CenterStaging's facility is on both sides of the street, in slingshot distance from the Burbank Airport runway, and cars do haul ass down our street while we're having to constantly cross over from one side to the other. There are drivers who just have no intention on stopping.

Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Better Tone thru Mathematics bob p's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 60/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post

I'll be here all week.
    the Chef asked me to tell you to be sure to try the veal.

"Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Thumbs Up/Down
    It's not as hard as you might think -- when they match the speed of the plane, they could both be going over 100 mph and to the participant, the apparent speed is only the difference in speed between the plane and Rocky the Flying Squirrel.

I went to Formula racing school a Laguna Seca back in the 90s, when Russel Racing School was headquartered there. A week later when I got home, somebody asked how fast the cars were. I told them that I honestly didn't know, because the cars only had tachs, oil pressure gauges, and water temperature gauges, no speedometers. I was probably a good thing that I didn't know how fast we were going, as that probably would have just added unnecessary fear to the situation.

When someone asked me what it was like to pass someone at full speed in those turns, I told them it was like we were passing someone who was only going 2 miles an hour. When we got used to the speed of navigating the track, the only different factors that we had to deal with when we were passing someone were the relative speeds of other drivers. If you're doing 175 and the other guy is doing 173 the difference is only 2 miles per hour. It's like the pass occurs in slow motion while the rest of the track goes by at it's usual speed. It's just like passing someone on the interstate. Not a big deal. I imagine that flying along side an aircraft in one of those flying squirrel suits would be a lot like flying in tight formation. Everyone is travelling at the same speed and as long as everyone is smooth in their control inputs, it's not a big deal.

edit: for me I imagine that the hardest part of doing that stunt would be getting me to jump out of the airplane or off of the mountain. Wanting to get back into the airplane? No problem there. Just glide on in.

Last edited by bob p; 12-16-2017 at 01:58 AM.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Thumbs Up/Down
    Reminds me of a cheap scifi book I read decades ago. They were out in the rings of Saturn. They were sailing along among the little rocks. They mentioned that the relative speed was very low, but in reality they and the rocks were all going thousands of miles an hour. So far so good. Then they decided that the relative speed was deceiving, and that if two of those things were to touch, then the speed kicked in and they would blast apart from the impact. Even when I was 10, I knew that their physics was totally wrong. SO their premise was that if two space ships or a space ship and a rock were flying along together, they had to be careful not to touch or it would be like they collided at thousands of miles an hour.

Imagine two cars riding down the interstate at 100mph, they reach out their windows and touch hands. They would have us believe the hand clap would seem like a 200mph clap.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    it's zero as long as you're both going in the same direction ... but if you're headed in opposite directions, LOOK OUT!

Thumbs Up/Down
    I am a full fledged Sci Fi FANATIC but sadly too often I grind my teeth at very poor Physics.
    Oh well.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Yeah, I read another one which had battle lines of space ships blasting at each other like a navel battle in the 1700s. At one point it had them so wrapped up in the battle, that half a battle line "fell into the sun".

I used to like Scifi, and belonged to the scifi book club, but over time scifi all turned into fantasy - magic, sorcery, dragons, etc. I gave up.

Thread Information