Getter flash spots changing over time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getter flash spots changing over time

Does it indicate a problem or age, etc. if a tube (6550) starts to get a gray coloring around the side getter flash spots. It was totally silver when I first installed the tubes and now the edges are turning grayish.
    Attached Files

Generally means the vacuum inside the tube is going soft.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

What's the time frame? Hours, months, decades?
      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

All I can say is this:

If you see a guy on the street, and his hair is turning gray. It tells you he is aging - whether it happened suddenly or over 20 years is hard to say.

A white edge to the getter means air, however fast things inside are changing. SLow leak, fast leak, who knows?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Gas has gotten into the tube SOMEhow. Whether via vacuum leak or released because the tube was overheated, can't tell you. No way to predict life, either. Just keep a casual eye on it, in my opinion.

Yes - what IS the timeframe?

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
          X