Sunn 1200S Restored/Revised amp with new Schematic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunn 1200S Restored/Revised amp with new Schematic

This just highlights the end result of a 1200S Restoration project that I began in mid-Nov 2015 and completed in late May 2016. Details are in the 1200S Restoration Project thread found in the Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Repair category. A couple weeks ago, I finally got around to creating a new updated 1200S schematic with the revisions, and have added thiat to this post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis-Outside-26.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	873081 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis-Outside-28.jpg
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	873082 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis-Outside-30.jpg
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	873083

The above are outside views, after thorough cleaning of the chassis surface, getting all of the crustiness off, as best I could. you'll see all that in the other tread.

The insides after restoration and upgrades have new supply filters, added a second bias pot so each pair of output tubes have their own bias adjust. Added Hum balance. Revised the previously non-grounding input jacks with a pair of switching transfer jacks (Switchcraft type 13A) and the usual type 12A jacks, so the 'bright' input networks are still there as well as non-filtered inputs, now set up with 0dB and -6dB input levels typical of Fender and other amps. Circuit is in the new schematic

Name:	Chassis Inside-Revised -55.jpg
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	873084 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Inside-Revised -54.jpg
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	873085 Click image for larger version

Name:	New  input jack wiring-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	873086

The LDR Cell for the Tremolo circuit was moved off of the Tremolo PCB into a mu-metal and brass enclosure and installed between the Volume and Treble pot, moving it's high impedance out of the high hum field of the power supply/power transformer. The single transistor Reverb Return circuit was scrapped, now using a TL071 op amp circuit to mix the reverb tank back in, with the voicing in the Reverb path adjusted to taste. A lot more power supply filtering was added to the half-wave rectifier filter circuit that runs the Tremolo and Reverb circuit from the original.

I replaced the original Gibbs reverb tank with an Accutronics 4AB3C1A, as the Gibbs was sounding very dark and murky.

Name:	Chassis-Outside-33.jpg
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	873087 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis-Outside-36.jpg
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	873088

The re-composed and revised 1200S schematic follows.

Sunn 1200S Guitar Amp-3.pdf
    Last edited by nevetslab; 11-29-2017, 11:16 PM.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence
Working...
X