No announcement yet.

what does this input resistor do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ted Weber did that for me once for $10 to a speaker that didn't need to be reconed.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Certainly possible, but rare. Usually, when the magnet shifts, it deforms the voice coil form and chews up the coil. I'm not sure I would trust the speaker without being reconed.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

"If I'd known it was going to sound different I wouldn't have let you touch it" as someone said to me after I'd replaced a dead EF86 in an old Selmer.

Comment

The speaker got reconed without demagging. Don't know how.

Comment

The voicecoil could have seized without the magnet shifting, eg the glue retaining the spider to the chassis may have failed.
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Yep, or it could have fried bad enough to deform the former so it couldn't move anymore.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well, some of you guys were right, now that it is fixed, he is really disappointed that it doesn't sound like it did. Sometimes, it's hard to win a fair fight isn't, it?

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                  Well, some of you guys were right, now that it is fixed, he is really disappointed that it doesn't sound like it did. Sometimes, it's hard to win a fair fight isn't, it?
                  Not sure if a "like" is the right response here.?.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

It's a conundrum. How do you fix a customer's amp when he likes it broken?
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      Not sure if a "like" is the right response here.?.
                      Yeah. That was an agreement with his 'fair fight' comment.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Poke a few holes in the speaker.

He'll love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post

My brother is a recording engineer. He has stories of guys who came in to record, back in the day, and had speakers in their amps that they tore the cones up on purpose because they liked that "vintage paper buzzing sound". I was in tears when I heard that.
                          The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
                            My brother is a recording engineer. He has stories of guys who came in to record, back in the day, and had speakers in their amps that they tore the cones up on purpose because they liked that "vintage paper buzzing sound". I was in tears when I heard that.
                            Sometimes their records make it all the way up the charts. The Kinks' "You Really Got Me" being an archetypical example -- Dave Davies intentionally slashed his speaker cones with a razor blade in a fit of anger over his GF. The amp distorted a lot more after that and the rest is history.

i'd fix the resistor.
                            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

"Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Working...
                              X