Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Identifying This One

Hello,
    I picked this amp up a few months ago and noticed it has no ID marking on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-03 18.03.58.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	873103Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-03 18.04.36.jpg
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	873104Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-03 18.02.53.jpg
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	873105Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-03 18.03.04.jpg
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	873106

Id like to take a crack at restoring/ rebuilding this. The tubes are: 35Z5GT, 12AV6, 12AU6 and 50L6.
    The closest I can find is an Alamo Fiesta or Alamo Capri.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe Y

Looking at the tube numbers I'd guess that the filaments are wired in series to 110vac. FWIW the tolex reminds me of Silvertone amps.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

So, I pulled the guts out of the amp and I found this hand written information inside:Click image for larger version

Name:	File Dec 06, 7 02 18 PM.jpeg
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	847886

I searched around and found an amp called the Lindell Tremolo Deluxe that looks like a variation of the amp I have. It has the same panel layout and the width and depth dimensions are a match.

Name:	vintage-tube-lindell-tremola-guitar_1_20642f83ce88a9d2c0bc330ee986f918 (1).jpg
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	847887Now if I could just find a schematic.

Comment

Be aware this is what is referred to as a "widow maker" amp and is not considered safe to use without the installation of an isolation transformer.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
          Looking at the tube numbers I'd guess that the filaments are wired in series to 110vac.......
          Could be. It does look like there might be a PT in there, though. Easy enough to tell. Pull a tube and see if the other filaments still light.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

This might be close. If so, yes- series filaments.

Name:	Alamo-Fiesta.jpg
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	847888
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

If the filaments are on the PT secondary like that then you are fine.
              If memory serves, sometimes they have a PT but run the series filaments directly off the line, which I still consider a safety issue, even if it's not exactly a widow maker.
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I'm tracing out the circuit. The filaments are all series wired straight off the mains (35+50+12+12=119).
                I'll post a copy when I get it finished up.
                Then I'll get after the safety issues and re-capping.

Thanks,
                Joe Y

Comment

I'm just curious. Is a 50L6 just like a 6L6 with a 50v filament. Are these amps similar to a Princeton in sound or is the B+ too low? I assume they just use a voltage doubler on the line voltage?

Comment

Nope, 200V plate & 10W dissipation... 35L6 is similar...

Piggers.

Justin
                    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                      Nope, 200V plate & 10W dissipation... 35L6 is similar...

Piggers.

Justin
                      Yeah... I didn't compare the spec sheets. Lazy I guess. It just made me wonder.. for the NOS tube buffs. These line string filament output tubes were in everything from TVs to stereos to table radios in the 50s and early 60s. There's a ton of them out there still for cheap. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to build a safe modern amp using them. Like your 35L6. Half wave rectifier off the line and two filaments in series for a PP amp with DC filaments. Then run everything else off a cheap PT with an applicable 12vac and B+?

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice!
                        I have been considering adding a 6.3V transformer and switching to all 6V tubes (6x5GT, 6AV6, 6AU6 and 6W6GT). That way, the existing power transformer would take care of isolating the B+ voltage and the added 6.3V tranny would do the same for the heaters.
                        Of course I'll still add a fuse and change the cord to a three prong.

I took a shot at drawing up a schematic of the amp (I used Paint). It's a work in progress and I hope to finish it in the next couple days.
                        Here's a peek:Click image for larger version

Name:	DIY LindellSchmatic_Draft.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	847919

Comment

You still have to add a transformer, then change all the tubes over.
                          Why not just add an isolation transformer and run the entire amp off that?

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                            You still have to add a transformer, then change all the tubes over.
                            Why not just add an isolation transformer and run the entire amp off that?
                            I haven't decided how I want go with this amp yet. One reason for switching to 6V heaters is because I have a bunch of these tubes (NOS). I also have a 6.3v tranny. So it wouldn't cost anything.
                            How big of an isolation transformer would I need if I did just add one to drive the amp?

Thanks,
                            Joe Y

Comment

Well, if you have all the parts you need, then that's different.

I think a 50VA unit like the triad N-68X would be more than sufficient.

Comment

Working...
                              X