Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaker baffle makers?

Better Tone thru Mathematics bob p's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 76/0
    Given: 0/0
    I'm a dull tool and I cut myself all the time.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 435/0
    Given: 1,171/1
    sigh...

If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,409/4
    Given: 2,788/0
    I've heard the "more likely to cut yourself with a dull tool..." thing too. We all have. IMHE though I cut myself a lot more when my knives are sharp (minor little cuts). I might say that since accidents are more likely with a dull tool due to clumsiness at higher pressures that you're more likely to stab yourself with a dull tool.

"In fact when I run into problems working on electronic circuirts, there are so many times that when I finally track it down, the source of the problem is located between my soldering iron and my seat." SoulFetish

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 683/6
    Given: 1,335/9
    Depends on the implement being used at the time, of course...

Some of the "dull tools are more dangerous" thing is the fact that a sharp tool ali leave a cleaner cut that is faster to heal and leaves less surface area for infection than a dull tool. Obviously this has more to do with knives and other "lacerating" tools, but there IS more rationale to this whole thing than the increased clumsiness of dull or worn tools...

All that said, I find a very sharp chisel much easier to control than one that's shaped like a screwdriver...

Justin

Edit: then, there's pruning saws. No coming back from a nasty slice from one of THOSE... Sharp AND jagged.

"Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Damn pruning saws! Frightening things. If you were to confront a blade wielding mugger with a knife or a big stick you might find yourself in a fight. But whip out a pruning saw and I bet they'd run like hell.

"In fact when I run into problems working on electronic circuirts, there are so many times that when I finally track it down, the source of the problem is located between my soldering iron and my seat." SoulFetish

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 683/6
    Given: 1,335/9
    I was using one to cut a branch to sizeable firewood bits one day. I was still in the early stages, and got distracted. After a minute or two I found the blade sticking, on every stroke. I looked down to see why and nearly passed out. At some point the blade had l skipped, and I never felt any pain until I saw the saw, branch, and most of my hand covered in and dripping with blood...

I've got my scars from those things... WEAR GLOVES!

Justin

Edit: I like your self-defense idea, Chuck!

"Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,879/7
    A sharp knife cuts right into a potato. A dull knife makes you press down harder, making the knife more likely to slide off the potato and across your finger.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    A sharp knife cuts right into a potato. A dull knife makes you press down harder, making the knife more likely to slide off the potato and across your finger.
    So it should be: "You're more likely cut yourself with a dull blade than a sharp one if you're cutting potatoes in your hand instead of using a cutting board."

Of course I get the concept. And it's accurate enough, I'm sure. Just not my personal experience. Perhaps some of us are just more likely to cut ourselves? I will say this, A dull knife is a sign of inexperience and a lack of respect for the tool and it's use. I think inexperienced users are more prone to accidents.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I put my potato on the board, hold it with my left hand and cut with my right. If the knife doesn't bite and slips off the left side, it will come down on my fingers. But I am belaboring the example and not the point, I suppose.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    of course we all know that the proper technique for cutting a potato (potatoe if you're republican) is that you curl your fingertips inward so that only your knuckles are exposed, and they are only exposed to the side of the blade. Chef School 101.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Thumbs Up/Down
    found a video

Thumbs Up/Down
    Yes, curl your fingers inward. But that only works if you have the motor skills to prevent yourself from lifting the blade above your knuckles. That also assumes you are cutting straight down. When the knife slips off to the side, it assumes an angle, which can cut into the tops of your fingers or into your nails, even when they are curled.

I lack those motor abilities, and so I carefully place each knife stroke. Never in a hundred years would I ever achieve the knife skills of Chef Morimoto.

it is like shooting gold. Someone told me to take a little off my swing. Well, I have to have a swing before I can adjust it.

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 354/6
    Given: 351/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Yes, curl your fingers inward. But that only works if you have the motor skills to prevent yourself from lifting the blade above your knuckles. That also assumes you are cutting straight down. When the knife slips off to the side, it assumes an angle, which can cut into the tops of your fingers or into your nails, even when they are curled.

I lack those motor abilities, and so I carefully place each knife stroke.
    Have you tried "rocking" the knife with the tip on the cutting board, as shown in the vid? If your knuckles are touching the side of the blade, they can act as a guide to keep you from lifting the blade too high and cutting yourself.

-rb

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,657/23
    Given: 4,268/11
    Come on guys, time to move into the 20th century already.

Just because they don't have tubes doesn't mean they don't have feelings! - glebert

Thumbs Up/Down
    Veg-O-Matic. I guess it's time to Get With the 70s. lol.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    ...have experienced jigsaw blade canter
    Am I the only one who thinks that "Jigsaw Blade Canter" would be a great name for a band? IMO it has the kind of unforgetableness (unforgetability?) that "Death Cab For Cutie" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi6uRT7PxTQ ) has.

I will freely admit that the words "canter" and "jigsaw" have never even entered my mind at the same time.

-Gnobuddy

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that "Jigsaw Blade Canter" would be a great name for a band? IMO it has the kind of unforgetableness (unforgetability?) that "Death Cab For Cutie" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi6uRT7PxTQ ) has.

I will freely admit that the words "canter" and "jigsaw" have never even entered my mind at the same time.

-Gnobuddy
    I was at the grocery store two days ago and they had these stupid huge kiwi (kiwis?). Someone at checkout mentioned their size and I interjected "Yeah, Chernobyl kiwi" which was met with some laughter. Knowing I had the floor I followed with "I was just taking the opportunity to say Chernobyl kiwi. How often does THAT come up?"

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Quote Originally Posted by bob p View Post
    Veg-O-Matic. I guess it's time to Get With the 70s. lol.
    When the Veg-O-Matic arrives, can the Super Bass-O-Matic '76 be far behind? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RLHPaZUuyc

-Gnobuddy

Thumbs Up/Down
    I was waiting for someone to call up the Bass-O-Matic. I resisted the urge. MMMmmm. That's good bass.

Thread Information