No announcement yet.

Speaker baffle makers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it sounds like you've got some experience, so i'd say you shouldn't have any problems ripping an 8' board with a skilsaw on sawhorses in a driveway... even in the snow. I've done it many a time. all you need is 2 sawhorses and a straightedge to clamp to the board as a fence. i wouldn't hesitate to do it in the snow, but then i've replaced metal brake lines on my truck while lying in a driveway that had a foot of unshoveled snow. <insert Tim Allen-type he-man grunt>. it's kind of like tracing a circuit -- it's something we don't like doing, and that we'd all like to avoid, but it's something that we can do if we have to.

i understand the appeal of buying pre-cut boards.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Dude -- that's exactly how you'd do it with a router. you can use a jigsaw on a jig like that too, but i'm lazy and i just cut them freehand.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Yep. I posted because most everyone has a jigsaw. Many do not have a router. It's a cheap and relatively easy way to cut circles. Sometimes, I'll just temporarily screw the jigsaw base to a piece of scrap, measure for center and run a screw in at the pivot. It doesn't take long and it's easier (IMO) than freehanding.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

One thing I'll add about using a jig with the jigsaw (other than the conundrum may implode time itself) is that you'll surely want a sharp blade and don't force hard bits like knots and cross grain. Nice and slow in those areas. I know I already mentioned this, but it's because I, myself, am impatient and have experienced jigsaw blade canter many times. Working sharp and slow helps. If a jigsaw is on a fixed track I think it would be necessary.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Good advice, Chuck. That's something I learned early on from my dad. He used to say, "Your more likely to cut yourself with a dull tool than a sharp one".
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'm a dull tool and I cut myself all the time.

Comment

sigh...
                If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I've heard the "more likely to cut yourself with a dull tool..." thing too. We all have. IMHE though I cut myself a lot more when my knives are sharp (minor little cuts). I might say that since accidents are more likely with a dull tool due to clumsiness at higher pressures that you're more likely to stab yourself with a dull tool.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Depends on the implement being used at the time, of course...

Some of the "dull tools are more dangerous" thing is the fact that a sharp tool ali leave a cleaner cut that is faster to heal and leaves less surface area for infection than a dull tool. Obviously this has more to do with knives and other "lacerating" tools, but there IS more rationale to this whole thing than the increased clumsiness of dull or worn tools...

All that said, I find a very sharp chisel much easier to control than one that's shaped like a screwdriver...

Justin

Edit: then, there's pruning saws. No coming back from a nasty slice from one of THOSE... Sharp AND jagged.
                    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Damn pruning saws! Frightening things. If you were to confront a blade wielding mugger with a knife or a big stick you might find yourself in a fight. But whip out a pruning saw and I bet they'd run like hell.

Comment

I was using one to cut a branch to sizeable firewood bits one day. I was still in the early stages, and got distracted. After a minute or two I found the blade sticking, on every stroke. I looked down to see why and nearly passed out. At some point the blade had l skipped, and I never felt any pain until I saw the saw, branch, and most of my hand covered in and dripping with blood...

I've got my scars from those things... WEAR GLOVES!

Justin

Edit: I like your self-defense idea, Chuck!
                        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

A sharp knife cuts right into a potato. A dull knife makes you press down harder, making the knife more likely to slide off the potato and across your finger.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                            A sharp knife cuts right into a potato. A dull knife makes you press down harder, making the knife more likely to slide off the potato and across your finger.
                            So it should be: "You're more likely cut yourself with a dull blade than a sharp one if you're cutting potatoes in your hand instead of using a cutting board."

Of course I get the concept. And it's accurate enough, I'm sure. Just not my personal experience. Perhaps some of us are just more likely to cut ourselves? I will say this, A dull knife is a sign of inexperience and a lack of respect for the tool and it's use. I think inexperienced users are more prone to accidents.

Comment

I put my potato on the board, hold it with my left hand and cut with my right. If the knife doesn't bite and slips off the left side, it will come down on my fingers. But I am belaboring the example and not the point, I suppose.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

of course we all know that the proper technique for cutting a potato (potatoe if you're republican) is that you curl your fingertips inward so that only your knuckles are exposed, and they are only exposed to the side of the blade. Chef School 101.

Comment

Working...
                                X