Jazz PJ wiring issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz PJ wiring issue

I have a Jazzbass with the Precision bass pickup in the neck position & both pickups are wound so the P don't overpower the Jazz .& using the stock pot configuring v/v/t . but the problem I'm having is when both pickups are on full i get a drop in volume & treble & I don't think it is out of phase problems as I've reversed the wires of the jazz pickup & it still didn't correct the problem . Any one know a solution for this ? I've read one thread about "insertion loss" feel free to comment .
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Really Nobody ? now i notice this with any jazzbass with both volumes at full you do get a slight treble roll off ..try it
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I think it has to do with the mismatch of the pickups. If you get a better sound with one pot turned down a little bit (say to 9) you can add a resistor so that the pot never goes to 10.

I noticed a similar effect when combining a series wired HB with a parallel wired one.

Steve A.

P.S. If you need help determining the correct resistor to add post your readings*** here and I will do the math.

*** I'd need all 3 readings (1-2, 2-3,1-3) with the pot set to 10 and with the pot set to whatever setting works best. (If you can temporarily disconnect the hot leads it would be more accurate.)
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Isn't this what they call "VVT Syndrome"? Loads of threads on it over at Talkbass.
        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          I have a Jazzbass with the Precision bass pickup in the neck position & both pickups are wound so the P don't overpower the Jazz .& using the stock pot configuring v/v/t . but the problem I'm having is when both pickups are on full i get a drop in volume & treble & I don't think it is out of phase problems as I've reversed the wires of the jazz pickup & it still didn't correct the problem . Any one know a solution for this ? I've read one thread about "insertion loss" feel free to comment .
          Had the same "problem" when I had a Jazz bass. One potential solution in the modern day, a simple FET preamp following each pickup, you could easily make yourself a copy of the old Alembic Stratoblaster for instance, then mix the pre outputs say with a couple 10K resistors.

With the simple 2-pot mixer in the stock Jazz bass wiring, one pickup gets loaded down by the other when both are on 10 resulting in that loss of treble response. I s'pose you could sum the outputs of each volume pot with a pair of resistors, say 100K to 220K, but that would leave you with a high impedance output, an overall signal loss, and likely easier to pick up hum/buzz on the guitar cable. 3rd solution, same resistance mixer but feed that into a FET preamp within the bass. No easy way out without adding a battery.

How's them iceburgs?
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
          X