E-MU SP 12 memory battery issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-MU SP 12 memory battery issue.

I recently purchased a E-MU SP 12 online. It arrived not working however it seemed all that was needed was to change the dead battery to get it working. A technician at a local music repair store did the battery change. Then a problem arose that we just can't figure out. The SP 12 is now killing any memory battery installed as it is drawing too much current.

When the battery is first connected, it draws about 1000 microamps ( 1 milliamp) and then after a few minutes goes up to 1500 microamps (1.5 milliamp). Based on the schematic, he removed every part (about 15 parts) he could find associated with the battery and memory circuits and that did not change the current draw.

Still stumped. Any help is welcomed. I have been hunting for an SP 12 forever and I hate to have to give up on this one.

PS: The service manual can be downloaded here: http://www.theemus.com/documentation...ice_Manual.pdf

The battery feeds a memory chip through a diode. The rest of the circuit runs off the +5 supply. Normally, that +5 also runs the memory IC through another diode. SP the battery usually only has to supply current when the rest of the system is unpowered.

Now what if that pair of diodes has a leaky one? The poor battery now tried to power the whole circuit. So try lifting the diode from +5 and see if your current draw drops.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks. Will try that.

Comment

Working...
      X