Marshall JTM60 Standby Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JTM60 Standby Switch

Has anyone ever had a problem when you turn on the standby switch it does not work ? Power light is on and when the standby switch is turned on it does not lite and no sound from the amp ??? Any Ideas what could cause this ?

speaker cable loose?

Comment

Yep, the speaker cable is plugged in. Souldn't the standby switch light anyways when switch to the on position ?

Comment

Is the HT fuse ok?

Comment

I checked the main fuse and it was ok, I took the head out of the amp and there are 2 other fuses, one of which was hidden behind some capacitors.
          When I checked that one and it was blown...
          Thanks alot I did not realize the last on was hidden like that...
          I'm not sure what amp rating the fuse is but I will get a acouple of replacements...
          Thanks a million...

Comment

Originally posted by jets View Post
            I checked the main fuse and it was ok, I took the head out of the amp and there are 2 other fuses, one of which was hidden behind some capacitors.
            When I checked that one and it was blown...
            Thanks alot I did not realize the last on was hidden like that...
            I'm not sure what amp rating the fuse is but I will get a acouple of replacements...
            Thanks a million...
            Might check the casing of the fuse. The metal ends should have the rating stamped on them.

Comment

Thanks trevorus, I would if I could... my eyes arn't what they used to be even with glasses.. I'll check with someone at the electric store and have them match it up..
              Thanks Again..

Comment

Originally posted by jets View Post
                Thanks trevorus, I would if I could... my eyes arn't what they used to be even with glasses.. I'll check with someone at the electric store and have them match it up..
                Thanks Again..
                I just checked the schematic. It's 500 mA, or half an amp. (That is, if it's the fuse on the high voltage supply coming from the standby switch.)

Comment

If it is 500ma (1/2 amp) make sure it is a slow blow if that is what is needed. If it says "T500ma" by the fuse clips, T means time delay - slow blow. Often Marshall prints the fuse data on the circuit board near the clips.

And another warning: while it might just be a fuse that aged and failed, much of the time a blow high voltage fuse means a power tube failed.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo is right. It is a slo-blo.

Here's the link to the schematic: http://www.drtube.com/schematics/mar...00-61-02-1.gif

It's about in the center. The standby switch is labeled, and the fuse is right next to it, marked T500mA

Comment

Question: Why would you want a slo-blow as the HT fuse? Didn't Marshall used to use a regular fuse there?

Comment

Originally posted by TD_Madden View Post
                        Question: Why would you want a slo-blow as the HT fuse? Didn't Marshall used to use a regular fuse there?
                        A slo-blo is better for that duty because it is near a switch. The turn-on draw there can peak sometimes. Slo-blo gives just a bit of wiggle room on it, so it doesn't blow every time the switch happens to arc inside.

Comment

When you flip the standby switch to on, the caps all of a sudden have to charge, and that is a brief surge in current. With fast blow fuses, yuo need to have a fuse large enough to handle that surge. But then it is too large to really work as intended during operation. By using a slow blow fuse, we can use a smaller value fuse which is more likely to work as we desire.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                          X