Maestro fuzztain miniature lamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro fuzztain miniature lamps

Does anyone know where I can find these small light bulbs?
    Attached Files

I would replace with a led and a 1k series resistor. Less power, lasts longer, cheaper and I have loads in my parts drawer.
    Last edited by nickb; 12-21-2017, 10:42 PM.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Hint- Christmas approaching

Comment

Thanks Nickb!
        Off this topic a bit, but does anyone know what I can use to replace the 1/8" power jack. It's giving me all sorts trouble
        Attached Files
        Last edited by pontiacpete; 12-21-2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I did think of that but all my christmas lights are some color other than white.
          The LED is working nicely, though

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpete View Post
            Thanks Nickb!
            Off this topic a bit, but does anyone know what I can use to replace the 1/8" power jack. It's giving me all sorts trouble
            It looks like there is more than enough room for a stereo headphone jack in there. You only need one normally closed switch, so just ignore the secondone.

Comment

I'm still having trouble with this power input jack. I bought this one:
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-3-5mm-...=STRK:MEAFB:IT
              If you scroll through the pictures, there's a schematic of the jack.
              The problem I'm having is that there is only one tip connection. The original has 2 tip connection and one has the switch. The one without turns the lights on when plugging into a power supply. Lights are not suppose to work with battery. I tried wiring the the wire that goes to the darlington which powers the lights. With the battery the side lights are on all the time(which might not be so bad if they don't eat the battery).
              Is there a plug out there that will work like the original or is there a better way of doing this with a difference jack?
              Here's a picture of the original
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm still having trouble with this power input jack. I bought this one:
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-3-5mm-...=STRK:MEAFB:IT
                If you scroll through the pictures, there's a schematic of the jack.
                The problem I'm having is that there is only one tip connection. The original has 2 tip connection and one has the switch. The one without turns the lights on when plugging into a power supply. Lights are not suppose to work with battery. I tried wiring the the wire that goes to the darlington which powers the lights. With the battery the side lights are on all the time(which might not be so bad if they don't eat the battery).
                Is there a plug out there that will work like the original or is there a better way of doing this with a difference jack?
                Here's a picture of the original
                Without knowing how the original was wired it's pretty hard to say. Go back and look as how it was done and copy that.

If I had to make a WAG: In the original, it looks like one contact on the tip opens when the plug is inserted - I guess this would be for the battery isolation. Those would be pins 4 and 5, 4 = battery, 5 = power to board. A second connection is formed from the sleeve to the ring when the plug is in and I'd guess this is for the lights. That's pins 1 and 2 1= power to board and 2 - lights.

Comment

Here are a couple of photos that show how the original jack has two tip connections. There is no ring connection as shown in the schematic. The other picture shows how pin 2 of the new jack actually connects to the sleeve which grounds the voltage needed for the lights.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here are a couple of photos that show how the original jack has two tip connections. There is no ring connection as shown in the schematic. The other picture shows how pin 2 of the new jack actually connects to the sleeve which grounds the voltage needed for the lights.
                    Nice piccie!

Yes, I think you are right. It would appear that there was one switch contact that closed and another that opened. In effect a SPDT switch with the tip being the common. That means the socket you bought won't work. I wonder if the original just needed a good dose of contact cleaner? Failing that if you now have an LED then the current consumption is much less than it used to be so it won't be such a problem.

Comment

The schematic is just showing a ring where it should show a second tip.
                      Like nick said, the only reason they used that is so the bulbs would not drain the battery. From what I can see, it looks like the bulbs would not be in use when on battery power.
                      You are not using battery, or like nick says, it shouldn't matter anymore because of low power led's, so just wire those 2 tips (shown as tip and ring) together.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

This pic shows under "battery operation" that none of the lights will work. All that circuitry around L1 & L2 are for ripple reduction to prevent lamp flicker from the supply.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuzztain.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	848078
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          The schematic is just showing a ring where it should show a second tip.
                          Like nick said, the only reason they used that is so the bulbs would not drain the battery. From what I can see, it looks like the bulbs would not be in use when on battery power.
                          You are not using battery, or like nick says, it shouldn't matter anymore because of low power led's, so just wire those 2 tips (shown as tip and ring) together.
                          I feel like a dope. I didn't know there was a schematic posted...

I think the was it works is as I said above i.e. a SPDT contact. The schematic is drawn as though there is a ring contact - there isn't one so it's misleading.

Comment

The problem with the original jack was the shorting switch. I tried to clean, scrap and crimp it with no luck. With a 1/4" shorting jack this is a lot easier to do, this one is pretty small and not so easy.
                            You made a good point about current consumption with the LED. I will install another LED(there are 2 lights under large pot knobs/wheels, one for each pot).
                            Damn that was my last white LED. Got to order more.
                            Thanks for the help guys!!

Comment

Working...
                            X