Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Halp! Basic Restoration Guidance for 1962 Fender Bassman 6G6-A Blonde Amp/Cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. blow them out and hit them again with the pot cleaner. For best results you want to rotate the pots back and forth before the cleaning solvent evaporates.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

When you get the Deoxit I would re-treat the pots you've used anything else on. Deoxit is specifically recommended because it's tried and tested. Anything else is a lottery. That's not to say anything else won't work, but we know that Deoxit does.

The loss of feel comes down to the cleaner getting into the pot shaft. There's a special damping grease that gives a smooth feel to the pot rotation. See post #5 here to see how I do it. The loss of feel has no bearing on the operation of the amp, though.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t43518/

Comment

Very nice amp and a very nice story. I love hearing about these things getting passed down to kids and grandkids.

My question is when did the speaker cabinet get swapped for a 1963 one? The photo of your dad has the original speaker cab, but the later photos show the newer speaker cab.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
          Very nice amp and a very nice story. I love hearing about these things getting passed down to kids and grandkids.

My question is when did the speaker cabinet get swapped for a 1963 one? The photo of your dad has the original speaker cab, but the later photos show the newer speaker cab.
          OOooo! Nice catch!
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post

Wow, even I never noticed that!! I just called my dad to ask and got a story I hadn't heard.

Some time around 1964 or 1965 the cabinet was stolen from his Aunt's house in Bakersfield and he was able to get her homeowners insurance to pay out for a replacement. He said it cost around $150 to replace which obviously was a lot of money at the time and especially to an 18ish year old. Good catch!

Comment

I just figured someone tried to bleach the grill cloth and slapped a new logo on it in an attempt to either clean it or contemporize it... like all those tweed amps that got painted black in the 60s...

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
              X