Chuck H's Zener bias mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    Beating the tar out of the tubes, such as guitar amps do, the tubes don't often stick around long enough to become gassy
    I've kinda wandered into that conclusion. Granted, my understanding is only a few hours old, but the sources agree that thermal runaway only happens with positive ions bouncing about in the tube. I'm not expecting to get 20..40 years of life out of a new production tube.

This begs another question: Thermal runaway, the tube overdissipates and electrodes melt. Bye bye, tube. Collateral damage? Can the OT suffer from this failure?
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
      Thermal runaway, the tube overdissipates and electrodes melt. Bye bye, tube. Collateral damage? Can the OT suffer from this failure?
      Usually.?. I think "mine" can.?. My personal amp is using Hammond iron. Known to be durable and has proven to be on a couple of occasions when I did something stupid. Typically, and we've read about it here many times, an over current condition in the tubes results in either a fuse blowing or some other board component failure. Rarely an OT.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        an over current condition in the tubes results in either a fuse blowing or some other board component failure
        We're working towards convincing me that a HT fuse is good cheap prevention, esp. if we're flouting RDH4 on the grid resistors.
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Well, I don't think a mains fuse will blow in time to save an OT from a shorted tube.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            Well, I don't think a mains fuse will blow in time to save an OT from a shorted tube.
            But it usually does. That's actually what I was saying. Blown OT's are remarkably rare actually. Not little, cheap jobbies that are in amps made of pressed paper, but most REAL amp OT's are burly enough that they are the last thing to suspect very often. Ergo the common joke when someone asks "Did I kill my amp?". Someone here will always come in with "Probably the OT" but mean it sarcastically since it's the first thing most greenies suspect. I'm all for the HT fuse though as better protection.

But I'll admit that I do test any OT that's known to have been part of a power tube short as a matter of course. It's happened right in front of me a couple of times too. Great fun.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
            X