No announcement yet.

1967 Super Reverb sounds harsh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This love it/hate it thing is a little extreme. If you're a guitar playing musician you LOVE a properly working Super Reverb. Not for everything, mind you, but certainly anyone with moderate proficiency on the instrument and experience with more than one genre of music would recognize the amps useful tonal quality and range. If you're one of those players that has only ever played smokey blues or uber metal then you may not like the amp for your own personal setup, but even a pigeon holed player would enjoy noodling around with one for a good, long while. Learning to feel and use it's musical properties. The "love it" thing is easy enough to understand. I guess I'm just not getting the "hate it" potential of the Super Reverb. Hating an amp as musical as this is, to me, a sure sign of a very limited player and artist.

JM2C
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Maybe you're just one of the "love it" guys, Chuck.
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        Another thing I would suggest is to verify that the speaker section of the combo sounds good on it's own.
        Yes, it may be that one or more speakers has gone bad, perhaps even voice coil is scraping.
        It may have failed with the first 'kerrang' after air_bouquet got it back following the repair.
        The original speakers will be pretty tired and didn't have much, if any, power over-rating safety factor available.
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
          Maybe you're just one of the "love it" guys, Chuck.
          Well, not really. I've always been more of a Marshall guy. But I've had my time with a SR and had just the experience I mentioned. That is, it's a very musical amp and I enjoyed working with a different pallet , so to speak. I've built classic Fender type circuits before too though. So there's another level of artistic appreciation there I suppose. Still, I just can't imagine a player (I mean A PLAYER) plugging into one and exclaiming "UGH!!!" and slapping wildly at the power switch because they just can't turn it off fast enough
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

When it comes to a dark sounding Super, I think this is about as dark sounding as they get if they still sound right:

Badfinger. Two Supers. No problem figuring out which amp is giving the great tone, the answer is BOTH!

I love Bad Finger and "Baby Blue" is one of my all time favorite songs... but, maybe because I have my phone to my ear, I'm not sure if this is the studio cut being mimed. Nevertheless.. it's not so much a love/hate thing with Supers. It's use when appropriate. I loved the sound I got out of an old one once on 8 with an ES 330. I was in a situation where I could crank it. But for club work with semi clean stuff I always preferred a DR. And if you put 3 different guys on the same amp, you will get 3 different sounds. It's all subjective.

Comment

Hate a BF Super Reverb? One of my clients is in a platinum record hard rock band that plays world tours. He uses Hi gain stacks sometimes, Marshalls sometimes, whatever. When he is not doing that he plays in a Robin Trower/Led Zep sounding blues rock band. He plays a 65 Super Reverb. His tone is always great. I maintain his amps. His SR tone does in no way whatsoever suck.
              It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

I can't see the amps in this video, but the tone is unmistakable.

I'm 99% sure they are using Vibroluxes.

About my amp sounding bad before, yes, it was very bassy and was in dire need of servicing, but I never thought of it as bad sounding. Somebody else would not have liked it at all I'm sure. Yep I'd gotten used to it. I had a dual-gang pot master volume installed back in 1986 or so. I've looked online for the schematic for the MV and haven't found it yet. If anyone knows abotu them, if you could mention a URL I'd be forever in your debt. When I had it pu tin, the tech recommended I add a cutout switch for the MV and I declined. This mod robs highs and I just lived with it. Now I also will be gettign the cutout switch put in. And yes it's not an around the house amp, but it was all I could afford so that's what I've always used.

But harsh jeez yeah I do turn it on and turn it right back off agina. And I'm using a Les Paul and it's just blecch.

But before man it would sing in a band situation. You really have to put up with the MV like that but it can be tweaked ie. everything on 10 and the bass on 4 and I'm good to go lol, It was very thick sounding. Now that's gone.

But yeah there's lots of sounds you can't get with them, even when I got in back 40+ yrs ago it was hard to deal with. They're great, but by today's standards, you need at least 3 amps in order to mix thigns up a bit. They're not for everybody, but I never could afford an amp collection.

What I really wanted was for it to be back the way it was, but my tech friend I think brought the treble up somehow in order to compensate for the MV mod and he's gone overboard.

But I hate to call him, he's a relative and a great friend and I don't want to criticize his work.

Oh and I need the tube rectifier put back in, it's got a solid state rectifier mod that dates from the late 70's. They told me it wouldn't affect the sound and I'd not have the tube to take care of.

Comment

I forgot to mention I'm on the MA-NH border.

Comment

Oh My !! Great videos ! What effects did they use?

Comment

lol

Comment

Originally posted by air_bouquet View Post
                        I forgot to mention I'm on the MA-NH border.
                        if you're going to disclose your location then you should put that in your profile.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Done. Thanks for mentioning that.

Comment

It wouldn't be too hard to look at the guts and see where it differs from stock, that is, what parts he changed in an attempt to compensate for the master.
                            Even posting some high quality well lit pics here would probably get you an answer.
                            If it's a dual pot master, probably some type of PPIMV (post phase inverter master volume).
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by air_bouquet View Post
                              I'm 99% sure they are using Vibroluxes.
                              How do you know? Or are you just pulling my leg?

We do know that they used Supers. I looked for documentation on Virboluxes but couldn't find it. And as good as my ears may be, they can't tell a Vibrolux from a Super on a recording.

Comment

True stories back in the mid 1980's:

One guy plugged a stock mid 1960's strat into my '64 Super Reverb and was disappointed in the distortion and sustain (or lack there of). He normally played a Les Paul into Marshall Super Lead 100's.
                                Another guy (different day) plugged a stock mid 1960's strat into my '64 Super Reverb and offer to buy the amp from me on the spot. He loved it!

Perhaps "hate" is a too strong and harsh a word; let's say prefer, favor, fancy? It has a lot to do with style, preference and mood I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X