low z single coil and 60 cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low z single coil and 60 cycle

Does a low z single coil have the same s/n ratio (60 cycle only) as a standard single coil? ( 6k or so )

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
    Does a low z single coil have the same s/n ratio (60 cycle only) as a standard single coil? ( 6k or so )
    I've heard low Z pickups are less susceptible to hum, but it's still a single coil, and you do have to boost the level up somehow.

My experience is that low Z humbuckers sound pretty much like single coils.

When I switch mine to single coil, they do hum a bit.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

So David , you think that a true low z single coil hooked to an ic with gain set to equal a standard single coil output, the 60 cycle hum would be about equal on both pickups?

Comment

So David , you think that a true low z single coil hooked to an ic with gain set to equal a standard single coil output, the 60 cycle hum would be about equal on both pickups?
        Probably a bit lower, but I don't see any point in running one as a single coil. You won't gain anything tone wise, and will just introduce noise. I've tried switching my bass pickups to single coil, and I don't hear any real difference in tone, just hum. I've not made any comparisons.

But I personally have no interest in single coil pickups. I think after 60 some odd years we should be able to make a pickup that doesn't hum and has good top end.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

I think the reason I'm always thinking single coil is mainly to fit the single coil space. I have wound a few stacked coils that sound fair but they really lack dynamics, or at least that's what it feels like when playing them, too compressed. I was just curious if at some point towards low z if 60 cycle hum would be totally removed, that would be too easy.

Comment

I think the reason I'm always thinking single coil is mainly to fit the single coil space. I have wound a few stacked coils that sound fair but they really lack dynamics, or at least that's what it feels like when playing them, too compressed. I was just curious if at some point towards low z if 60 cycle hum would be totally removed, that would be too easy.
            By all means give it a try.

Comment

The only way the resistance (and thus turns count) can matter is if the low-resistance coil is physically smaller, and thus intercepts less of the hum field. But it's hard to see how one could make the size difference factor large enough to yield a useful reduction in hum level.

Comment

Working...
              X