Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    Do you have a scope?
    No, 'fraid not -- just a humble multi-meter.

Comment

If you don't have a scope, try pulling V1. See if the noise goes away. If not try V2. See if you can at least isolate what stage the noise is coming from.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        If you don't have a scope, try pulling V1. See if the noise goes away. If not try V2. See if you can at least isolate what stage the noise is coming from.
        Pull V1 = noise still there, unchanged
        Pull V2 = all noise gone

Comment

do you have a schematic or what did you build the amp from?

Comment

Originally posted by rdh006 View Post
            The Normal volume has little effect on the noise.
            The Bright volume has much more effect on the noise.
            The volume controls are somewhat interactive on this amp which confuses the issue to some degree.
            The noise goes away altogether with the tone control turned down -- but then the whole amp is shut off anyway.

If I allow it to warm up, turn off and then on again, it is the same before and after -- the noise is still there, to the same degree, as far as I can tell. If I turn it off and back on while the noise is there, the noise is still there. If I turn it off and back on while the noise is gone, the noise is still gone.

Thanks for helping.
            OK quick test - try subbing the 0.1uF coupling cap in the bright channel.
            Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by dstrat View Post
              do you have a schematic or what did you build the amp from?
              I built the amp from the layout provided by Bruce at Mission amps, which I can't post. However, the amp is basically the original 5E3 circuit as shown on the Fender schematic and layout which is out there on the internet. I'll find a link when I have some spare time later today.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                OK quick test - try subbing the 0.1uF coupling cap in the bright channel.
                Thanks -- I'll try that a little later today.

Comment

I built the amp from the layout provided by Bruce at Mission amps, which I can't post. However, the amp is basically the original 5E3 circuit as shown on the Fender schematic and layout which is out there on the internet. I'll find a link when I have some spare time later today.
                  5E3 schematic
                  https://cdn.instructables.com/F8P/XH...DN7.MEDIUM.jpg

5E3 layout
                  https://cdn.instructables.com/F4X/D8...DN8.MEDIUM.gif

Some of the component values are slightly different. The filter caps are 22uf and the coupling caps are .047uf

Comment

I changed the coupling cap in the bright channel, as per nickb's post above. Noise appears to be gone. I had been intending to reduce that cap from .047 to .022 to cut a little of the lows, so killed two birds with one stone. The amp sounds great.

Hopefully that's it. Thanks nickb for the fix, and thanks to everyone who helped here. Learned some stuff and got my amp back together -- what more could I ask?

Comment

I changed the coupling cap in the bright channel, as per nickb's post above. Noise appears to be gone. I had been intending to reduce that cap from .047 to .022 to cut a little of the lows, so killed two birds with one stone. The amp sounds great.

Hopefully that's it. Thanks nickb for the fix, and thanks to everyone who helped here. Learned some stuff and got my amp back together -- what more could I ask?
                      Woo Hoo!

Comment

Woo Hoo!
                        I hope I'm not the only curious one here... How did that fix the problem and how did you know it would?
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                          I hope I'm not the only curious one here... How did that fix the problem and how did you know it would?
                          dstrat pointed out the probable general cause in post 12. The test with the controls in post 13 narrowed it to the bright channel. There just the one cap with large DC across it. Plus luck of course

Comment

I just love it when these thinks work out. I'm sitting here smiling - I can't think of any other forum where so much expertise, patience, understanding and care goes into helping someone fix their problem.

Comment

dstrat pointed out the probable general cause in post 12. The test with the controls in post 13 narrowed it to the bright channel. There just the one cap with large DC across it. Plus luck of course
                              So do you suppose it was a microphinic cap or a leaky cap. I didn't suspect a leaky cap because it's a newer amp and I didn't suspect a microphonic cap for the same reason. I don't think I've ever seen a newer microphonic film cap. Anyway, this is something I wouldn't have caught for a while longer yet. So good instincts.
                              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                                I just love it when these thinks work out. I'm sitting here smiling - I can't think of any other forum where so much expertise, patience, understanding and care goes into helping someone fix their problem.

Amen to that. You guys are brilliant. I used the amp at a gig last night -- no issues and the amp sounded great.

Comment

Working...
                                X