pickup inductance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup inductance?

What might be the difference in 2 pickups that are very similar but one has an inductance of 3.0 and the other 2.6? Would it be noticeable and how would it affect them tonally with respect to each other? Thanks.

Originally posted by daz View Post
    What might be the difference in 2 pickups that are very similar but one has an inductance of 3.0 and the other 2.6?
    A slight shift of the resonant peak.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Strat 2,6 3,0.png
Views:	1
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	848230

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
      A slight shift of the resonant peak.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46495[/ATTACH]
      So in your graph which is which? BTW what program did you use to create that?

Let me get my magnifying glass out....

Thanks

Steve A.
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
        So in your graph which is which? BTW what program did you use to create that?

Let me get my magnifying glass out....
        The plot with the lower frequency resonant peak will be the higher inductance coil so blue will be 3H and green 2.6H. It was done with LTSpice. I should change the plot/background colours to make it clearer.

Where can I get a magnifying glass?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Dave H; 01-24-2018, 05:44 PM. Reason: added schematic

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
          The plot with the lower frequency resonant peak will be the higher inductance coil so blue will be 3H and green 2.6H. It was done with LTSpice. I should change the plot/background colours to make it clearer.

Where can I get a magnifying glass?
          I posted a sticky in the Lobby. Post #2 shows 2 ways to insert full-sized image file into a post. (Post #1 is for n00bies who don't know how attach images or files.)

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t41874/

I guess I really need to add some Spice to my life!

Good luck!

Steve
          The Blue Guitar
          www.blueguitar.org
          Some recordings:
          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Thanks Steve

Comment

so a higher inductance like 3.5 vs 2.5 will be brighter? I'm looking at 2 pickups, one a 3.8h and the other 2.6h. The 3.8h is going to be brighter ?

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
                so a higher inductance like 3.5 vs 2.5 will be brighter? I'm looking at 2 pickups, one a 3.8h and the other 2.6h. The 3.8h is going to be brighter ?
                Decide for yourself

Name:	daz 1.png
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	848406

Comment

That chart doesn't supply the capacitance and resistance load, or how the impedance characteristics of the pickup affects the spectrum. What are the specific pickups you are considering for which position, and with what pot values, cable capacitance and preamp input impedance?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                    I guess I really need to add some Spice to my life!

Steve
                    Big problem being you will be betrayed by your eyes (like with the other stuff), but harder to hide/justify because they will start glowing fluorescent Blue:

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      Big problem being you will be betrayed by your eyes (like with the other stuff), but harder to hide/justify because they will start glowing fluorescent Blue:
                      Melange, right? Dune? Read the book, never saw the movie.

-rb
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by Fluoroscope 5000 View Post
                        That chart doesn't supply the capacitance and resistance load, or how the impedance characteristics of the pickup affects the spectrum. What are the specific pickups you are considering for which position, and with what pot values, cable capacitance and preamp input impedance?
                        Schematic with component values below, it's supposed to be a Strat with the controls on '10'. The 680p cap is the measured capacitance of my guitar lead. It's not a specific pickup. It's only an example using the inductance values daz posted. I think the 2.6H value will be brighter sounding but I'm not sure. I'm not good at hearing with my eyes.

Name:	daz 2.png
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	848420

Edit: Steve, I tried your magnifying glass but it made it too big. The right side was cropped off.
                        Last edited by Dave H; 01-27-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                          I've seen people walking around Manchester looking like that, another great way to waste your life

Comment

You have Fremen in Manchester too? Second/third generation, or directly from Arrakis?

-rb
                            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                              You have Fremen in Manchester too? Second/third generation, or directly from [COLOR=#545454][FONT=arial]Arrakis?
                              I've no idea (had to Google to understand the question). I was trying to say that we have people 'spiced' out looking like zombies wandering around Piccadilli Gardens in Manchester - link. I never got beyond the first chapter of Dune

Comment

Working...
                              X