No announcement yet.

Any amp techs in north eastern MA area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any amp techs in north eastern MA area?

Like the subject line says.

I have a blackface Super Reverb that needs some care.

Originally posted by air_bouquet View Post
    Like the subject line says.

I have a blackface Super Reverb that needs some care.
    Hi, I live in the area as well. I don't know, but my brother is a fine guitarist, and knows lots of musicians. I will ask him tonight and post a message. What year is your amp, and what do you need done?
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

1967. It has a master volume mod that needs a bypass switch so I can use the amp without it.

The trouble with the mod is it robs highs. It had died on me, and I had a relative work on it. He must have changed something in order to get more highs out of it with the MV. The trouble is, now it sounds harsh, and the reverb sounds shitty too. I don't want to criticize my relative's work, so I've not talked to him about it (yet).

In the late 70's a tech put in a solid state rectifier, and I think I should have it reconverted to tube rectifier. The socket has been removed and a plate put over the hole.

So, three things:
      1. Master volume disable switch
      2. Find and replace the part that causes excessive treble
      3. Install a tube rectifier.

What town are you in?

Comment

Just got a reply from my brother. Check out Aztech electronics in Watertown.
        Last edited by mikepukmel; 01-13-2018, 02:06 AM.
        The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

There are some AMAZING techs on this blog as well. Mostly I don't know where they live. I do know one guy said he was in MA but out West, towards NY. Can't remember the town. They might check in on your thread as well, if they're close.

Comment

67 super, that's an awesome amp. Good luck getting it setup the way you want.

Comment

I'm in Haverhill. Thanks for the tip about Aztech. Watertown is a bit of a drive for me but it might be worth it.

I just took it to a shop and they couldn't fix it, had no idea what to do, the owner was 50 yrs old and they didn't give him tubes in college lol. wth.

Comment

Too bad, but better than the guy doing some hack on your amp and making it worse. yeah, Watertown is a hike. I'll ask around, know an electronics tech I used to work with lives near you. He's not an audio guy but might know one closer to you.

Comment

Watertown is confusing to drive in and the traffic is too fast and my reflexes and brain are too slow now lol.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
                    There are some AMAZING techs on this blog as well. Mostly I don't know where they live. I do know one guy said he was in MA but out West, towards NY. Can't remember the town. They might check in on your thread as well, if they're close.
                    I think that was me,mike.I'm in NY,about a mile from the Mass border just south of Grt Barrington.Sorry if I mislead you to think I was in Mass.

Comment

Are you mjstokes from youtube?

Comment

As to the OP ques.There could be multiple things causing the harshness.The ss rect will increase voltages which could cause the AX7's to be more stiff,brittle sounding.Instead of switching the master vol.I would just remove it.If you dont think it sounds good,you should just tell your relative what you dont like,its not really "criticizing" after all tube tone is very subjective and he may not hear what you hear.When I do work on someones amp,I want them to use it in my shop and critique what they hear,that way I can make adjustments before the amp leaves with a satisfied client.In fact I insist on them trying the amp with me,saves a lot of guess work.Anyways,getting back to the matter at hand.If you can do it,I would suggest you start by replacing the ss with a tube rect and check/rebias the power tubes.If its till harsh,get that master volume and whatever mod he did to "get more highs".Barring some unseen ( and theres a lot I cant see from here) problem,I think your harshness will be solved.

Comment

Are you mjstokes from youtube?
                          Nope,I'm Carl Stokes from NY,formerly NYC til about 2 yrs ago

Comment

I just took it to a shop and they couldn't fix it, had no idea what to do, the owner was 50 yrs old and they didn't give him tubes in college lol. wth.
                            wth indeed! I learned basic tube electronics in college but NOT in the classroom. Early 70's transistors were definitely in, tubes were deemed obsolete. See how well that worked out, right? Not only did I have to repair my bands' and my own stage equipment, I got a part time job in my college, repairing and maintaining lab & demonstration equipment, much of which still had vacuum tubes. So, if he had a little more gumption that tech could have learned then. And what's preventing him from learning now? Probably the same thing that prevents my from learning how to fix computers, smart phones, and every new piece of gear that involves digital electronics and switching power supplies. Laziness AND the way a brain seems to not absorb new knowledge as it gets old.

A little south of you, there must be a Boston area tech or two that can help, what with the always burgeoning music scene there. Hopefully someone will speak up themselves, or an area MEFster will point them out.
                            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I'm in Haverhill. Thanks for the tip about Aztech. Watertown is a bit of a drive for me but it might be worth it.

Didnt give me tubes in college either...oh,wait,I didnt go to college.I skipped early 70's transistors and went straight to tubes,working for a tv repair shop in the neighborhood from '69 til '74 when Jerry the tv repair guy closed shop.He didnt pay me much,but the practical experience he gave me was priceless.Like someone already said,theres gotta be some choices in the Boston area.

Comment

Working...
                              X