Thread: Anybody Here Use Reverb.com to Sell?

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 211/1
    Given: 437/8

Question Anybody Here Use Reverb.com to Sell?

Hey All,

I have a few amps I'd really like to unload (my Fender Prosonic & a Peavey Duece VT), and I keep hearing such "wonderful" things about ebay, which I've never used, and CL seems to be nothing but scammers or people who don't want to drive anywhere to check your item. I'm not driving three hours for YOU to check out MY amp and then say, "that's really nice, I don't want it." I've never used ANY online stores, and I don't have PayPal. So I was wondering if anyone has ever used Reverb's In-Site Direct Checkout? Fees are lower than PayPal, but I was just wondering if they're prompt in getting you your money, any issues, etc.

I'd really rather NOT ship the stupid things, because it would add quite a bit to the price, and I'm not really willing to eat that...

Thanks In Advance,

Justin

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "... If an older Boogie and classic Marshall had a (clearly illegitimate) child and you baked it in an oven set to clown shit crazy." - Chuck H. -
    "When receiving a shock I emit a strange loud high pitched girlish squeak." - Alex R -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 557/15
    Given: 581/0
    I have a couple crustomers who have been satisfied with buying & selling via reverb.com. Also a local music store - they probably sell more thru reverb.com than they do with walk-in customers. Two major downfalls: 1. shipping. Big hassles when gear gets broken in transit. And the store does an outstanding job packing but it seem sometimes OOPS, Fedicks & the USGhostOffice occasionally go out of their way to wreck the gear in transit. B) Unreasonable customers. No matter how carefully and completely you describe the item for sale, photo 8x10 glossies with circles & arrows & all, there are some buyers who fail to understand anything, misinterpret info always to their own advantage, try to renegotiate the deal once the item has been sent, complain like mad, and just will not be satisfied. Ain't that like real life, eh?

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks for the feedback, Leo. I'd be happy to use a local store, if the local store wasn't GC! There's one really tiny spot down the street, so it might be worth the walk to check in with him...

I'd rather not ship these, for the reasons described...

Justin

"... If an older Boogie and classic Marshall had a (clearly illegitimate) child and you baked it in an oven set to clown shit crazy." - Chuck H. -
    "When receiving a shock I emit a strange loud high pitched girlish squeak." - Alex R -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 770/4
    Given: 0/0
    SO add "pickup only, no shipping" to your ad.

I sell things on Reverb, but I have a friend doing that for me. I sometimes put things on consignment at Elderly Instruments here locally. They have a huge online sales side. But they have a strict policy of not shipping any used amplifiers. They only ship new in the box with warranty amplifiers.

I have sold things on CL too. They have to come to me, I won't ship a CL sale. And I sure as hell am not going to drive an amplifier somewher in hopes I can sell it. If they ask, I tell them I don't do that. If that queers the deal, oh well. Just say what you will and won't do in your ad.

As to not shipping due to the cost, unless you advertise as "free shipping" it is expected there will be a shipping cost added. In fact ads usually specify shipping costs. As in buy it now for $100 (plus $30 shipping).

My personal objection to shipping is the same one Elderly has: ship it to someone, who decides he doesn't want it, complains it has some problem and sends it back. Or it gets there and indeed has a problem it didn;t have when it left.

Unless you have some moral objection to paypal, you can have an account there in a few seconds. yes, they take their cut, so that is a factor. But I have used th for years and years. When I get a balance, I have it downloaded to my back, takes maybe a couple days tops.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks for the info, Enzo!

Justin

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/1
    Given: 44/1
    I've sold quite a bit of stuff on Ebay, and one amp on Reverb. You can get higher prices on Reverb, and the fees are lower, but the big problem is that you have to put a fixed price for shipping, and for amps that can be $80 difference between shipping it 10 miles or shipping it to Alaska or to the furthest point in the continental US. I mostly use Ebay now since you can put in the weight and dimensions and have the buyer pay actual shipping costs.

Also, if you are going to do at least a few big things it is a good idea to set up accounts with FedEx and UPS to get commercial rates, or something closer to them. You can do this through Ebay. It is a bit of a pain but drops shipping price a lot, which means the buyers will pay you more money for your item.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0
    Given: 2/0
    I've seen a steady increase in dishonest buyers and wherever possible sell cash-on-collection only unless it's nothing low value, not fragile or cannot be tampered with.

As an example of something going wrong, I sold a high-end tape deck on Ebay for 220. It didn't have a mains adapter so I fitted new batteries and fully serviced and aligned it as per the manufacturers service manual. It played perfectly and I had an enjoyable week of use before actually selling it. I also supplied a comprehensive checklist of what had been done, plus a note taped to the unit not to use anything other than an original adapter as these machines are notorious for damage if an incorrect voltage or reverse-polarity is used.

I git notification that the unit had been delivered before lunch, and at 4pm got an email asking for some assistance in using it. I replied, then got another email saying that it was now running at double speed. This is a classic case of reverse-polarity damaging the servo speed control IC. I asked if he'd used a mains adapter and an evasive number of emails followed. I asked him to send me a picture of the adapter or the make and model and he wouldn't. I then received a refund notification from Paypal - they'd given him back his money.

I paid for return shipping (which he organized) and had substantial fees deducted from the transaction. When the unit came back it was scratched, dented and had screws missing form the case. To add to the annoyance the time the parcel was booked was printed on the shipping label - 1pm. So he'd busted it and decided to return it a full three hours before asking me 'how to use it'.

Of course, neither Ebay or Paypal were interested and I had a piece of junk gear as well as fees, so was badly out of pocket.

Another scam I've experienced is to sell a piece of equipment and the buyer says it's damaged. When I get it back its been harvested for spares.

Let the seller beware.

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Hey Mick,

I'm extremely reluctant to try to ship these out, so I'd be keeping my amps until they came and got them. I don't have a problem letting Reverb or PayPal handle the money end of it, but I'm not going to ship these out only to have them returned for some "issue" or be "damaged." Thanks for the heads-up on eBay, and I'm not wanting to go that route, either.

Justin

"Thermionic Apocalypse" -JT nickb's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 221/0
    Given: 215/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    I've seen a steady increase in dishonest buyers
    "Like" doesn't quite seem appropriate. "Ouch!" and "I feel for you man!" is closer to the mark.

Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 557/15
    Given: 581/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    Another scam I've experienced is to sell a piece of equipment and the buyer says it's damaged. When I get it back its been harvested for spares.
    That one too... way beyond annoying. Any buyer who does this should be harvested for spares himself, without anesthesia.

Justin, there's also Craigslist. Some people search for items they want across the whole country, even across the world. You can stipulate "cash only", "all sales FINAL" and "YOU pick up - I will not ship this item." Puts the burden on the buyer otoh he's gonna get to see/play it before he pays and can never claim damage in shipping. That's what it takes to block scammers. It may take some time but it's not as if you're a thousand miles from nowhere. Motivated buyers will come through, it's the ol' "money talks . . . and BS walks."

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Agreed, but I like the information, as distasteful as it may be...

Justin

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    I'll try it again and see what happens. Problem last time was, everyone who was "serious" said I'd ship the amp to them if I really meant it, and then they don't want to pay for shipping and offer me $300. Jackasses. No, I'm not letting my Prosonic go for that. The Peavey, maybe.

Justin

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0
    Given: 2/0
    The trouble is bad experience makes you suspicious of a genuine buyer.

About three years ago I had a synth for sale on Ebay and got messed around no end, so removed it. I then advertised it on Gumtree and got scammers and timewasters. The last guy emailed me and asked me if I would save it for him as he was going on holiday, but would send a deposit. I pretty much let him know I was sick of scammers and he could stuff his deposit. I'd heard this before - "My friend in Ukraine very much like your keyboard. Will send deposit and you post it to London". Anyhow, the potential buyer was really polite and sent me a few links to his work. I didn't know from the correspondence he was (is) an A-lister and hadn't used his real name. I felt a complete prick. He turned up at my house and I couldn't believe this guy was standing there in my living room. He was very polite, gave me my asking price, had we had chat about music and general stuff before he left.

You just can't win.

Thread Information