Hi-Fi Guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-Fi Guidance

Hi folks, I am attempting to assist my brother who recently acquired a pretty nice 1968 Philips Solid State console stereo. I have mainly worked on tube guitar amps.
    I have very limited solid state experience. We cannot locate a schematic. Is there anyone here who can help us identify a few things? Ground scheme? Cap polarity etc? There are some real good folks here who have helped me a lot with guitar amps. I was wondering if a few of you are into other electronics as well.

If this Hi-Fi stuff is not welcome here, do you have any recommendations for a good forum with helpful folks for us Newbies?

Model is a Phillips R448. If there is some help here, and ok to post, I will start uploading photos and asking questions. Thanks, Keith

See if "Sams Photofact" has an issue for this model.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It's odd that there is so little showing up for this model, (using single L philips spelling).
      Is it a german unit? Any other model numbers on it? Post some pics?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks guys for checking in. No luck finding anything in Sams Photofact. It does appear that at least the guts were built in Germany. here are some pics. The final wood console may have been assembled in Canada.

This is the turn table:

Unsure where this is located:

Last edited by keithb7; 01-13-2018, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Comment

The radio works and plays. There is some crackling. Upon initial inspection we see some blistering caps. For starters I thought all e-caps should be replaced.

First question:
            How can we identify polarity on these original 1968 e-caps? I believe they are Plessey brand.

Another cap here. I am unsure of polarity. Black wire from cap node seen here does go to the chassis. I assume the chassis is ground. Does that seem logical? Power cord is two prong. No ground to wall it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              It's odd that there is so little showing up for this model, (using single L philips spelling).
              Is it a german unit? Any other model numbers on it? Post some pics?
              Brother to keithb7 here...yes it is a German unit. The TT is a GC046 model ( I believe it is the same as a Grundig 46 series), and according to the original sales brochure the amp chassis is listed as model HC4. Not sure if the amp shares anything with Grundig components but so far I have not been able to track anything down online either.

I did check "Sams Photofact" but no luck there. Thanks for any help you might have!

Click image for larger version

Name:	26694322_10155075380201767_959733577_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	848238

Name:	26732726_10155075377561767_686278454_o.jpg
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	848239

Name:	26695954_10155075377596767_2146101537_o.jpg
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	848240

Name:	26692814_10155075377486767_1553257690_o.jpg
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	848241

G.

Comment

Yours is a 448, but the one photo you posted shows the same chassis was used in the 458 and 468 models. A search for those two MIGHT turn something up.

As to your can caps, the upper one has a single terminal and can tabs. Unless otherwise indicated, I assume the single terminal is the plus, and the can tabs negative. See the tiny square stamped into that single post on its base?

Now look on the two legged cap. I see four diodes there making a bridge. The left terminal has the positive ends of the rectifiers. The right terminal has the negative ends of rectifiers. Note the left terminal has the tiny square stamped on it, while the right one has a tiny triangle.

On both caps, look for a legend stating the cap rating. See if there is not a square and triangle printed on there, with one claiming positive. On the single leg one, see if ther is a + on the side.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ahh yes! I see the square an triangle now. Thank you.

Comment

Does this pic help with further polarity clarity?

Comment

Not much on the caps to ID polarity it seems:

Comment

perhaps further around the can to the right, is ther any symbol after the rating?

In general, I assume the can tabs are negative unless specified otherwise.

In the case of the two leg one with no can tabs, I stick with my diode theory.

Comment

Enzo, what is up with the labelling on those diodes, seems backwards to me?
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by keithb7 View Post
                            We cannot locate a schematic.
                            It's worth a try to check with justradios.
                            They say 'antiques' but seem to have stuff right into the 70's :
                            Canadian Antique Radios Schematics Diagrams Service - JustRadios

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                              perhaps further around the can to the right, is ther any symbol after the rating?
                              Twisted to reveal, further to the right:

Comment

Working...
                              X