Speaker repair what is the proper glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker repair what is the proper glue

I have a bunch of celestion g12t-75s and the glue seems to have either dried or just torn off from the cone.

What is the proper glue to use to try to re-glue this dust cover to the cone? Or any other tips in general for attempting something like this ? Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2126.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	873234

For dustcap to cone standard is Vinyl water based Carpenterīs glue (I think itīs Elmerīs in USA), just draw a fine bead all around making sure it contacts both dome cloth and cone paper.
    Let dry overnight, pointing upwards.

To make it more authentic looking, mix a small amount of black latex paint with the glue, it will go from white to grey while wet, and dry shiny black like the original.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thank you man

Comment

You can also mist it with a little flat black spray paint when done. Makes speaker repairs nearly invisible behind opaque grill cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          For dustcap to cone standard is Vinyl water based Carpenterīs glue (I think itīs Elmerīs in USA),
          Righto, Elmer's is one, and much the same Franklin TiteBond. Whichever you have on hand or can get easiest. At hardware & home center stores everywhere. Good to have some around the house & shop for all sorts of repairs.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

A little tip: You can set an aerosol can of something on the dust cap center as a slight weight while the glue dries to make sure it doesn't run down underneath the cap.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

This is just what what I needed thanks y'all.

I am gonna try to resurrect these old busted junkers so I can put them in an old 4x12 I have. I just went through the 4 busted g12T-75 I have and one actually seems ok. 2 have the dust cover to cone coming apart and one just has a huge tear in the cone so that one is never coming back.

I will have to attempt to do a nice job because it will go in an old cab like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	peavey-ms-412-slant-121325.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	848261

Comment

"and one just has a huge tear in the cone so that one is never coming back. "

Why not? Cone tears can be repaired usually. Or re-cone it.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...guitar-speaker
                Last edited by Randall; 01-15-2018, 11:55 PM. Reason: I'm funny like that.
                It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

I've done plenty of repairs to badly torn cones. The material I use is taken from a scrap speaker cone. Most can be pulled apart in thin layers - like tissue paper but much stronger. I temporarily tape up the tear fro behind using masking tape and get a good alignment then wet the area with slighty diluted PVA adhesive and stipple on a very thin layer of donor cone paper. Let it almost dry and add a couple of more layers, feathering the repair into the rest of the cone area. when dry remove the masking tape and paint the back of the repair area with PVA. sometimes it's necessary to fill in missing cone sections with cone paper + glue.

Works really well and I've never had one distort or fail.

Comment

If you want to make an old dustcap, cone, or surround look good, use spray PlastiDip. Looks good, and it's so thin and flexible that I'll bet it does not alter the sound much if at all.

Comment

I've always assumed that speaker cone repairs with some sort of tissue or rubber cement or whatever people use could work . But would the speaker actually work and sound normal if you were to crank the amp up to the point of speaker distortion?

I am not light on my speakers so I never tried a cone repair other than just slapping some tape on because I thought it would have unpleasant sound at high volume or would disintegrate again easily. Is it true?

putting on a piece of masking tape or something similar seems hit or miss. I've had speakers that sound ok but most have a buzzy, weird distortion if you turn up the voluem too high

Comment

I also don't fix speakers much because you can typically just get some Eminence for $50-120 and it will sound good and have 7 year warranty. It's so cheap anyway

Celestion G12T-75 is not a really good sounding speaker IMO so I am only trying to fix these just for fun and to give it a try. They're just a bunch of busted junkers from my customers amps. If they work good and sound normal even at high volume I will probably just sell them.

Comment

30 years ago I punched a hole in an EVM-15L with a screw. D'Oh!

I patched the hole by cutting some cotton gauze from a First Aid Kit and adhereing a small patch to the front and back of the speaker with some Elmer's PVA. Then I concealed the gauze by airbrushing the repair with some flat gray paint.

30 years later that driver is still in my main guitar / 4-string bass setup and the repair hasn't failed. My ears can't tell the speaker that's been patched from the other one.

I'm wondering what type of glue might be better for the pleated surround. Anyone?
                          "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
                            I'm wondering what type of glue might be better for the pleated surround. Anyone?
                            Old fashioned rubber cement. And recently I patched up a small crevice in a JBL D130 with a little schmear of GE RTV silicone caulk. So far it's holding up just fine. Its owner drives it with a '67 Bassman chassis in a combo so it's never going to get kicked around by a big power amp.
                            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

If the surround is torn, I'll just replace it. You can get surrounds in foam, cloth, paper, etc.- pretty much anything you need in whatever size.
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                              X