No announcement yet.

5F6A Bassman total custom build - super low output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modified original post, added layout photos.

Comment

1 ohm current sensing resistors in the power tube cathode returns would be very handy here.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

I just looked at the added layout drawings, and have a comment about the heater supply wiring. You can short out either of the 6.3VAC heater windings with that hum balance pot, since you have made a center-tap from the two windings, AND connected the wiper of that 500 ohm Hum Balance pot to that C/T. Removing the C/T Ground connection, leaving the two power tube heaters to run on each winding, then have the hum balance pot's wiper going to ground, it may work for the preamp tubes, but not for the power tubes. I think you need to re-think all that again.
        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

^^^^^^ THAT! You have a potential transformer killer there.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

With the preamp tubes in series I don't see the potential for improving hum with the balance control because there's no differential (I think that was conceded). And with the power tubes wired each to ground the 500R pot isn't a false CT, but a variable shunt that, at 250R per side, would probably need a gross adjustment to sink enough current to make a difference. Did I get this wrong?

And what was said above. It should be changed if for no other reason than it shouldn't be possible to dial in a dangerous failure.
            Last edited by Chuck H; 01-17-2018, 11:43 PM.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Trying to update my schematics. The schematic is wrong. I soldered the 2 xfmr leads together at the xfmr, never brought out the center tap. It really is wired as a fake center tap at the pot. Also, V1 V2 V3 are not in series. They are parallel from a true 12vac source.

Comment

Thanks for all the great thought provoking posts. This is literally driving me insane. I am actually having serious problems sleeping.

Comment

The other thing I noticed is that you have one of the PI outputs going to the screen grid instead of control grid on your layout of the output section. Drawing error or build error?
                  Last edited by The Dude; 01-18-2018, 10:41 PM.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    The other thing I noticed is that you have one of the PI outputs going to the screen grid instead of control grid on your layout of the output section. Drawing error or build error?
                    Not at home right now. That could be it! Will check in about an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by tomgilmartin View Post
                      Trying to update my schematics. The schematic is wrong. I soldered the 2 xfmr leads together at the xfmr, never brought out the center tap. It really is wired as a fake center tap at the pot. Also, V1 V2 V3 are not in series. They are parallel from a true 12vac source.
                      Sorry, I was unclear. My fault. I meant the two triodes of each tube were in series. Not that the three individual tubes were in series.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Not at home right now. That could be it! Will check in about an hour.
                        You nailed it. Son of a bitch. So desperate to make things symmetrical...
                        Waiting for cap discharge.

EDIT - I was agonizing over the layout of the bias circuit. At first I wanted to use the unused pin 6 on the power tubes, so while drawing the layout I kept moving the wires around. Got crossed up on pins 4 and 5. Drew it wrong, then wired it wrong. Hope I didn't destroy anything.
                        Last edited by tomgilmartin; 01-18-2018, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Power circuit early in the build.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_181031.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	848288

Comment

Power circuit early in the build.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]46611[/ATTACH]
                            I admit it looks nice, in a 'Frankenstein meets Willy Wonka' sort of way. I hope your amp sounds good soon.

Oh, and don't worry about the insomnia. Just a side effect of creative process.
                            If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                            If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                            We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Vecino View Post
                              Is the secondary of the output transformer connected to ground?
                              Yes, at the feedback connection point near the presence pot.
                              Just want to verify this. The feedback connection point is not ground. I hope I'm misreading and you mean the ground connection of the presence pot.
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

That was a critical mistake. SOOO loud, even with the soak resistor back inline. Sure can get to grunge sounds. Thanks all!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X