Boss CE-1 modding lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss CE-1 modding lights

He guys, found this thread and thought some one here could help me out.

I've done a few basic mods to my ce-1, like the 500k pot and depth knob for the chorus side. Now I'm trying to change the old red led lights to something more modern. I've tried some bright white leds but they are not turning on. I've checked to see if the lights work and they do and the same with the old ones, also getting power.

I'm not sure about the specifics in relation to the boss lights. As far as the new lights, they are 3mm white -

Forward Voltage is : 3.1-3.3v
    Forward current is : 5mA-19mA

Does anyone here know if the ce-1 has some sort of resistor dropping down the voltage to were new brighter leds won't work. And if so, where this resistor is located?

Here is the lay out..

https://imgur.com/a/F7BzB

And this is to identify location..

https://imgur.com/a/yXuT4

If anyone can help me that would be very appreciated, thanks

Note: I'm not really good with schematics so please forgive me if I'm totally making a fool of my self.

First question, and I ask only because we know nothing about your technical abilities: These are LED's- not lights. They have polarity. Did you observe the correct polarity when you installed them?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'm having problems with my photo account.
      Here is the schematics:

The Free Information Society - Boss CE1 Electronic Circuit Schematic

The Free Information Society - Boss CE1 Electronic Circuit Schematic

Comment

No I did not. Yes they are LEDs. What do you mean observe the correct polarity?

Comment

An LED has a positive and a negative lead. They must be installed correctly or they won't work.

Comment

Yeah, I've determined positive and negative but I'm still not getting the things on. So that's were I'm almost thinking there's a resistor in place dropping the voltage.

Comment

Look at the schematics, there are of course series resistors, but the LED should still light. Get out a 9v battery and a pot and wire up an LED test circuit, make sure your LEDs work, and make sure which end is which for polarity.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hey just tried what you said and the new LEDs work great. Also made sure identify positive negative. Tried to wire it up to the boss pedal and same thing. I grabbed some other bigger blue 5mm and they seem to work fine with the pedal, but again not the white ones. Yeah no idea..

Comment

Also I've used these same pack of white LEDs with other pedals, no problem.

Comment

Measure the voltage drop on the white LED's on your test rig and compare to the blue ones that work.

Comment

I don't have a volt meter, but I will buy one. I found my white 5mm LEDs and they are working with this pedal. I'll probably just keep these in. I do appreciate the help troubling shoot guys!

Comment

I usually replace the stock LEDs with super bright red LEDs in my pedals. It's great for outdoor gigs in summer for seeing if your effect is on or off when the sun is bright.

Bob M.

Comment

Working...
                        X