Wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help

I’m building an interesting Strat style guitar and the guy I’m making it for is asking for something I haven’t done before. We’re putting an Invader in the Bridge position, a JB Junior in the middle, and a Hot Rails in the neck. He would like to have a Coil split pot on all three knobs in the same order as the pickups. I’ve wired a single split before but not all three. So 5 way switch, standard Strat knob arrangement and basically three humbuckers. Has anyone done this?

Welcome to the place!
    I would just use 3 push/pull pots- one for each pickup. Wire each coil split on each switch the same as you've done in the past when you did just one pickup.
    Last edited by The Dude; 01-18-2018, 11:15 PM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks Dude! That’s what I was thinking. I suppose I need to sit down and draw it out.

Comment

Before hardwiring the p-p switches I always recommend checking out how it sounds. On a strat you can run the cables under the pickguard, or remove a pot and run them there.

One option to consider for other custom wiring jobs is a 4PDT mini-toggle switch which could do the series/parallel switching for 2 humbuckers. And with an ON/ON/ON switch you can do series/split/parallel switching.

FWIW I think I've had better luck doing S/P switching on strat-sized humbuckers than full-sized ones...

Good luck!

Steve A.
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
        X