Kapton shielded cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kapton shielded cable

Anyone on here ever used kapton shielded cable ? Just got hold of some 24awg silver plated kapton shielded cable and wondered if it would be any good for signal runs looks really high spec!!! Nice shield not as flexible as normal 174 but looks really nice??

Kapton insulated cable perhaps?

I like Kapton, with the silver plate its likely to be Mil. spec and as such probably fairly old, I believe kapton (polyimide) insulation has been forbidden in Mil. wires for quite some time. When Swiss Air flight 111 went down near Nova Scotia (1998) the kapton wire flash over was suspected, but hey teflon insulated wire probably brought down TWA 800 (1996) but its one of my favorites

Modern avionic wire now often combines soft teflon polymer with a harder shell polymer like PEEK or tefzel but kapton is fine for amps etc. IMHO.

Comment

Yeah done a bit of research on the stuff and looks like it has a 100 hour fail time due to hardening of the coating causing "failure" many planes had to rewired apparently so maybe not the best stuff to use maybe covering the kapton with heat shrink could avoid any problems? But on the plus being a dustcart (garbage lorry) driver I occasionally stumble across things people have thrown away that I keep and today I found this cable in the rubbish ( trash ) all bagged up and as good as new result !!!Click image for larger version

Name:	20180124_180035.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	848379

Comment

Working...
      X