Bugera 1960 half volume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugera 1960 half volume?

So I have this Bugera 1960 on the bench... When I first turned it on, it was loud as hell... I was scratching my head as to what the problem was... So I turned the amp off, then back on... BAM! it was half the volume... I turned it back off then on again, half volume... So I let it sit for a day... Came back and turned it on again and had full volume... Put the standby on, then switched the standby off and I had half volume.... It came in originally with a blown mains fuse and a bad tube... I replaced all 4 tubes with a matched quad and I've had zero problems with the power tubes... They all are on and have that nice blue glow inside... I have replaced the choke with a resistor, same thing... Full volume than half after I cycle the standby switch... Put the choke back in, same thing.... Replaced all preamp tubes with know good tubes.... Same problem.... Does it sound like maybe a cap? Coupling or otherwise? Maybe something in the phase invertor? Any replies would be most appreciated.... Thanks for looking...

Is it the infinium or not?
    Have you tried it with a patch cord connecting the FX send to FX return?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I'd check all the solder joints on the tube sockets and elsewhere. If you bang on the amp while the problem is there, does it fix it?

Comment

It is not the infinium... I have tried jumping the effects loop... I have not tried banging it... I looked with a magnifier to find cold and cracked solder joints, to no avail... I just soldered every tube socket pin and will try it when I can... I'm at my day job atm....

Comment

SO when it is half volume, plug the guitar into the FX return. Still half?
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Guitar plugged into effects return = half volume as well...

Comment

Playing the Ohm Ranger I took a couple of measurements Power on, and standby in the play position...Power tubes... Heaters 24.7 volts DC, plate 457 Volts DC, screen grid 451 Volts DC, control grid ~-40 Volts dc...

Comment

Also, when I move the standby in to play position, it seems the signal sort of swells into being... My Bugera 333xl, as soon as the standby switch is moved, I have sound... This 1960, like I said, takes approximately 3 seconds for the sound to be there...

Comment

Have you checked voltages on the PI tube?
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Not yet... I will this evening... This week has been a crazy one...

Comment

Checking the voltages on the PI...
                      Pin 7 has ~22 VDC pin 2 has 21.07 VDC,
                      Pin 1 and pin 6 have 203 and 224 VDC respectively, pins 8 and 3 have 34 VDC on them... And pin 4 has -18.2 VDC and pin 5 has -6.46 VDC... Measurements respect to ground...

Comment

Anybody? Lol

Comment

Soooooo.... I just measured my output transformer primaries... Red (center tap) to brown: 6.5 Ohms... Center to blue:5.4 Ohms... Measured with tubes in....

Comment

With the power tubes out, 7 and 8 ohms on the primary... From brown to blue it reads about 11 ohms...

Comment

Whilst in half power fault mode, I would do some basic tests like check the bias current in each tube just see see if they are all making connection. Then I would check that each output tube grid is being driven - use a 1KHz sine wave signal generator on the input (or FX return), dummy load and scope or DVM on ACV with a 10nF 600V cap in series with one of the leads.
                              Last edited by nickb; 01-27-2018, 10:37 PM.
                              Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X