Glebert's redneck DIY amplifier defunkification method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glebert's redneck DIY amplifier defunkification method

In my effort to buy up all of the crappy, broken amplifiers in the Portland metro I have on two occasions ended up buying items from heavy smokers, but I didn't realize at the time of sale how much the amps stunk. I tried all sorts of chemicals and leaving them out in the sun and wind and hosing out cabinets but on some amps I couldn't get the smell out, and sometimes the treatment took the tobacco smell and made it smell like a smoker wearing aftershave (I had some serious 70's flashbacks at some points).

Now the real pro way to treat odors is with an ozone generator. Ozone is also poisonous so it is not to be used haphazardly. You can buy ozone generator units for $60-300 or more dollars, but I am not one to throw around money foolishly, so I figured out a way to do it for $5. One way that ozone is generated is by a process called corona breakdown, which can happen when you get electrical arcing. One place where arcing happens intentionally and in a safe and controlled manner is in a brush type universal motor. So I got an old Black and Decker pad sander (the old school kind that have the visible blue sparks inside) from a thrift store for $5, removed the sandpaper, put it into an unused closet with the smelly amp and a fan and ran it with the door closed for 10 or 15 minutes. This was in an unused part of the house, so no danger to the family. Turned off the sander and let the fan run for another half hour. After doing that a couple times, the smell was almost completely gone, and then after a light application and wipe off of Turtle Wax Odor-X and I really can't smell it at all.

After a couple times doing this my pad sander had a gear or bearing seize up, so I opened it up and took out all of the sanding pad mechanism to just leave the motor and switch, and now it is even better because it runs with essentially no load, doesn't vibrate all over, and still makes the sparks.

Now I am sure some smart guy has a better way to do it, but this worked for me, so I thought I would share.

Greg
    Last edited by glebert; 12-27-2020, 09:34 PM.

Every area has cleaning companies that clean up after fires, flood, etc. Contact them and ask if they have something good for removing cigarette tar. This is not a new problem for companies that clean bars and restaurants.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Great, thanks for the ozone tip! I can't see a smarter way of doing it.

I remember having had to throw away one cab because its smell was so disgusting...

Originally posted by glebert View Post
      I tried all sorts of chemicals [...] made it smell like a smoker wearing aftershave (I had some serious 70's flashbacks at some points).
      Ah-ah! I think I can smell what you mean

Comment

made it smell like a smoker wearing aftershave (I had some serious 70's flashbacks at some points)
        As long as it's not wearing a gaudy polyester suit, stacked shoes, and dancing to cheezy disco music . . .

Who knew a little hand sander could generate enough ozone to be effective? Great experiment, great story.

Cig tar can sometimes be an asset. One of my crustomers bought an all-white Les Paul that was used as a bar decoration, hanging right over a pool table for a couple decades. The back of the guitar was still bright white, but the front took on an unusual shade of orange. Totally unique. For reasons I do not know, it doesn't stink like an old ash tray.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

...this worked for me, so I thought I would share.
          Major thumbs-up! Thanks for sharing!

My wife is extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke, and real-estate prices in this part of BC are so insanely high that we were lucky to even manage to get into an apartment, never mind a house on its own land. Unfortunately there are smokers in other apartments, and a few months after we moved in, something changed, and suddenly traces of the smoke started to enter our apartment through utility ducts and leaks around the front door.

The smoke has debilitating effects on my wife, and we had sunk everything we had into getting the apartment, so we went through a lot of stress until I remembered ozone generators. I wasn't as clever as you in re-purposing an old power tool, instead I went out and bought a small ozone generator.

Along with a mat under the front door (to seal the gap), the ozone generator saved us. We run it every day while we're out at work now, positioned just inside the front door, where the smoke ingress is worst.

Since that time, our calls to the building management uncovered a dead ventilation fan in the hallway outside that had gone unfixed for at least six months. The fan has now been replaced, and with it back on line, most of the smoke issues have gone away.

We still have the ozone generator, though, and it still does a great job of knocking out the last traces of cigarette smoke. (Not to mention the occasional other irritant, such as exhaust smoke from a lawnmower outside.)

-Gnobuddy

Comment

Ozone can also destroy rubber and corrode metal.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyP1955 View Post
              Ozone can also destroy rubber and corrode metal.
              Yes, and it is unhealthy for animals and humans in anything more than very small quantities.

This is one of the reasons why I mentioned that we use our ozone generator primarily when nobody is home (and the pets are in a different room).

-Gnobuddy

Comment

I used an ozone generator in my car for a few days and it did a great job. Try it !

Comment

Originally posted by 1ampman View Post
                  I used an ozone generator in my car for a few days and it did a great job. Try it !
                  I did look at using one of the smaller ozone generators like the ones for cars (that can be bought online for $15-30) but didn't want to have to mess with rigging up an AC/DC converter, finding a way to mount it, etc, but I think they would work well for amps too. Guess you could also put the amp in the car and use that as your chamber.

Comment

I did look at using one of the smaller ozone generators like the ones for cars (that can be bought online for $15-30) but didn't want to have to mess with rigging up an AC/DC converter, finding a way to mount it, etc, but I think they would work well for amps too. Guess you could also put the amp in the car and use that as your chamber.
                    Some reason the title of your thread dreams up images of dousing the amp in gasoline and letten er rip..Git er Done!

nosaj
                    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                    X