Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-90 (Gibson Dog Ear) Identification PLEASE

Hi Folks,

I don't buy used pickups but, I did this one time in 47 years of playing stock or winding my own. My search for a Gibson dog ear P-90 has taken a lot of time until I finally found one.
    Never having had a P-90 guitar before (PAFs only), I bought one that was supposedly removed from a Les Paul Jr as the instrument was being "parted out" and was only a few years old.

My question/concern is this: there is not a single I.D. mark on this pup indicating a brand name or anything. All other Gibson pups - in my experience - have either, text with stickers or text carved into the baseplate or patent numbers ... or something.
    This 'P-90' has nothing. It is a brass colored baseplate, seemingly slightly wax potted with a white wire and a black wire connected properly to the vintage style looking 2 wire hookup wire. - thats' it.

Is this how they normally look?

DCR measures nicely at 8.22k, and when alligator clipped to amp source, seems quite powerful when screw heads tapped with screwdriver.

What can you tell me?

Hi Old Guy,
    I just had a look at a pair of c.2011 P-90's I bought a few years ago. I was a bit puzzled at first but the guy seemed very trustworthy, and searching online for images seemed to confirm that they were the genuine article. As you say, no markings of any kind. The brass baseplate has the corners sheared off on a 45 degree angle, about 1/4" across the flat. The wires (braided shielded and a small white PVC insulated wire) pass through a 1/4" hole in the corner and solder to a tag held by a phillips screw between the two end polepiece screws. There is another phillips screw opposite, and two unused holes between the B and G and between the A and D polepieces. The coil is bound with black tape and appears to be wax-potted.

It is curious that there are no markings; they look a bit like cheap generic pickups. As far as I know though, they are original equipment. I haven't looked at recent Gibson aftermarket P-90's so I don't know how they compare.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Bloomfield View Post
      Hi Old Guy,
      I just had a look at a pair of c.2011 P-90's I bought a few years ago. I was a bit puzzled at first but the guy seemed very trustworthy, and searching online for images seemed to confirm that they were the genuine article. As you say, no markings of any kind. The brass baseplate has the corners sheared off on a 45 degree angle, about 1/4" across the flat. The wires (braided shielded and a small white PVC insulated wire) pass through a 1/4" hole in the corner and solder to a tag held by a phillips screw between the two end polepiece screws. There is another phillips screw opposite, and two unused holes between the B and G and between the A and D polepieces. The coil is bound with black tape and appears to be wax-potted.

It is curious that there are no markings; they look a bit like cheap generic pickups. As far as I know though, they are original equipment. I haven't looked at recent Gibson aftermarket P-90's so I don't know how they compare.

Andy
      Thanks Andy! You hit it right on the head! Your description is a perfect match to my P-90. I too, got it from a vendor I didn't know so I'm always a bit sceptical when it comes to pickups. My BIGGEST complaint is getting one that has been 'opened up' before for a magnet swap or whatever reason. NEVER would i buy one of those nor, would I sell one without honestly admitting to potential buyer that I had de-virginated the pup.
      Anyways, thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X