Stupid FX Loop Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid FX Loop Question

Probably sounds dumb, but I'm not sure, and I'd rather get some intelligent input than guess. I'd like to use the FX out to run thru my pedals into a DI with cab simulation for direct recording into my computer. I'd like to keep it silent. Would it do any damage to the amp if I simply left out a return to the pwr amp in?

Short answer: turn down the master volume on the amp; rock out!

long answer: you will do no harm to the amp with this. Plugging into the FX out without plugging into the return may not silence the amp, if it's a half-normal loop. That's why I suggest turning the master volume down. MV down may also reduce residual hum/buzz from the amp's speaker, probably not an issue when recording with a DI.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Or wire a shorting plug and shove that into the FX return. Shorting the signal path to ground there will hurt nothing and will prevent signal from reaching the power amp.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
        Short answer: turn down the master volume on the amp; rock out!

long answer: you will do no harm to the amp with this. Plugging into the FX out without plugging into the return may not silence the amp, if it's a half-normal loop. That's why I suggest turning the master volume down. MV down may also reduce residual hum/buzz from the amp's speaker, probably not an issue when recording with a DI.
        Just what I needed to know! Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Good idea. I'll probably give that a try.

Comment

Working...
          X