No announcement yet.

Tightening Up Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will raising the pot value or using a lower value tone cap effect attack? I've always been curious about why some guitars are livelier than others. Has anyone come up with a formula for this?

Comment

Caps and Pot values, can effect brightness.
      A larger value Tone Pot, can give larger bass, treble rolloff.
      Liveliness in a guitar, can be many things, also can be an accumulation of things.
      Tone wood
      nut type and fit
      bridge type and fit
      neck pocket fit on a bolt on guitar
      pickups
      String size and type
      And, the combination of all the above.
      Good luck finding the attack you're looking for!
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 09-21-2018, 04:02 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Yeah, I know all those things contribute but there has to be a way to figure it out so it's predictable. We know how to get resonance peaks electrically but I suppose what we need is a way to sort out mechanical resonance too. There has to be a sweet spot where we can find that sustained resonance.

Comment

Originally posted by netfences View Post
          Yeah, I know all those things contribute but there has to be a way to figure it out so it's predictable. We know how to get resonance peaks electrically but I suppose what we need is a way to sort out mechanical resonance too. There has to be a sweet spot where we can find that sustained resonance.
          Here in the B/H forum, we keep it all nice and simple.
          Good luck corralling attack.
          T
          Last edited by big_teee; 09-22-2018, 08:45 PM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by netfences View Post
            there has to be a way to figure it out so it's predictable.
            Unless you wind with a CNC winder with auto-traverse, predictability is simply off the table.

You can find the "sweet spot" where "attack" (do you mean "pick attack" or "articulation"?), but you'll need to wind many bobbins with different turn counts, TPLs, coil geometries and even how you put the start lead in the coil matters, until you "get it". It's NOT something you can get by adding numbers in a spreadsheet.
            Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
            Milano, Italy

Comment

This thread IMO is a bit on the Smoke, Mirrors, and Snake oil side, of pickup building.

With that said, there are so many things that attribute to the sound of an electric guitar.
              I will attempt to cover some of them.
              The guitar itself is a main part of it.
              IMO you can't have great pick attack, without great sustain.
              The Les Paul that we think about when we consider hot humbuckers is to be considered.
              The mahogany body and set neck contribute greatly, also the tuneomatic bridge and stop tail, add sustain.
              Before discussing pickups, consider the type and gain of the amp.
              When I think hot les pauls, I think of Marshall from days of old.
              Pedals also add to the equation.
              Volume and tone pot, & cap values, helps set the tone.
              Don't forget tone robbing covers, and brass baseplates.
              Type of steel in fillister head screws, and slugs, also make a difference.
              So last but not least are the pickups.
              You can make low, medium or overwound pickups. A multitude of magnet types, and strengths.
              So before you go trying to do everything with tpl and tension of the pickups, consider all the above mentioned parts of the equation.

T
              **I've never heard the position of the start lead being a big contributing factor, or issue.
              However I still do it the old fashioned way, on the bottom through a hole, or notch, cut in the bottom of the bobbin.
              Last edited by big_teee; 10-07-2018, 06:01 PM.
              Terry

Comment

No ads please, in the B/H section.
                Last edited by big_teee; 10-08-2018, 04:50 PM.
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  No ads please, in the B/H section.
                  Do you consider it an ad?

That's... unfortunate, because it shows a pretty obscure, overlooked detail in p'up winding with actual tonal impact, that's not that nuanced, if you ask me.

Sorry if I broke the rules, Tee. I thought it was pretty interesting, specially to the rookie winder.
                  Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                  Milano, Italy

Comment

I didn't open the link because I'm not a pickup winder. But since I posted on this thread I'm "subscribed". I did wonder about the edit when I saw that it happened. Are we sure it wasn't simply one of those sites that just brims with popups. I don't really consider that an ad per se. Just a little annoying. If the point of the link isn't selling anything (though of course any popups are) I still wouldn't think "ad".
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

IMO everything from that site is an ad.
                      Since I didn't want the ad to become the debate, I deleted it.
                      Please convey your point without the use of an ad.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Working...
                      X