Speakers in Fender Twins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he's talking about this:
    Fender '57 Custom Twin 40W 2x12 Tube Guitar Amp Lacquered Tweed | Musician's Friend

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
      Is this a reissue, a boutique clone, or a real vintage '57? If it's the real deal vintage amp l would be trying to find some period correct frames and have them reckoned/reguassed by Weber. The only reason to spent the money to own that amp is to have it sound like that amp imho. Unless you just want pictures and bragging rights, lol!
      Looks like reissues. At $2000 I'd build my own from kit bits. The real thing? I have a couple customers who have 'em. They trade in the $9000-12000 range, OW, rock star prices! Unless you get a lucky find, you're dreaming if you think you'll pick one up for 2 grand. And lucky finds do happen, one customer ran across a 1953 Twin Amp at a garage sale. All it needed was a fresh AC cable and one resistor changed - I did that for him. He paid ten bucks for the amp. for him!
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
        ... one customer ran across a 1953 Twin Amp at a garage sale... He paid ten bucks for the amp. for him!
        Disagree!

Would YOU take somebody's 10k worth of amp for ten bucks? Or would you tell them to go get it appraised? I'll admit to taking advantage of a good deal due to ignorance at thrift stores or garage sales, but I think there's a legitimate gray area in the smaller dollar amounts. Sort of like letting your buddy walk into the bathroom after you blow it up. FUNNY. But the pranking has to end somewhere shy of letting him drive your car even though you know it has no brakes.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

A friend of a friend asked if I could sell an "old Fender bass amp" for $200 for her. I say it depends, and ask for pictures. She sends me a pic of a dead stock 66 Princeton Reverb w. a C10N in it, period-correct. I politely (regretfully?) tell her she has an $1800 amp, then hope she'll lemme have it for $600... no luck. Tried to sell it, but nobody's got the dough... then she calls and asks for it back, when she moved to CA. Probably ended up in a collection; another one bites the dust.

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            Disagree!

Would YOU take somebody's 10k worth of amp for ten bucks? Or would you tell them to go get it appraised? I'll admit to taking advantage of a good deal due to ignorance at thrift stores or garage sales, but I think there's a legitimate gray area in the smaller dollar amounts. Sort of like letting your buddy walk into the bathroom after you blow it up. FUNNY. But the pranking has to end somewhere shy of letting him drive your car even though you know it has no brakes.
            Looks like watching all those Davey & Goliath TV shows paid off. Goliath, the dog, in a goofy deep voice: "well I dunno Davey, that's not the right thing to do... " Brought to you by the Lutheran Council. Claymation by Clokey, same team that brought us Gumby. Stories of learning to make ethical decisions, just before the usual parade of Saturday morning cartoon dreck in the 60's & 70's & maybe reruns later on. Read all about D&G here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davey_and_Goliath

Hey, it's a garage sale. If the buyer doesn't move on the lucky price right this second, the next guy will. This is the Noo Yawk metropolitan area. Law of the jungle. Eat or be eaten. I can also pitch you some "the one that got away" stories. Plus, at the time he got the amp it was "only" valued at $4000. I can see if it's a friend or relative, and there's time for them to take the item off market, get it appraised & sold thru more profitable channels, fine.

Now back to the show in progress. "Okay Davey."

Comment

Do you think Guitar Center or any other shop would have told owners asking for $10 or $200 respectively: "no, you're wrong, here's $2000 or $1200 ..... " ?

Think again.

Besides, *real* price is original price (which what "everybody else" charged for a similar amp) , updated to current US Dollars by the inflation coefficient, and depreciated by old age, parts decay, etc.
              So not much, just what any old stuff same age woud be worth today.

Anything above, and we might be talking 100X thar "real" price is pure Mojo, Magic, smoke and mirrors, and that only for a very limited part of the population (basically old farts like us).

Those same amps, fresh made in the form of reissues, arguably sounding as good as the original ones (when they were new that is) and safer, with better components, etc. , stay months unsold at GC and similar places for lack of interest.

And kids (the bulk of the Guitar and amplifier market) wouldn´t buy them even at $600, go figure.

*WE* like them because , say, Lightnin´Hopkins or some similar prehistoric cat we know used them, kids have no clue about them or wouldn´t care anyway and instead would prefer whatever Nickelback or the current Dying Foetus Skull Full of Maggots style Death band is playing.

US2999 or 9/12K is as proposterous as $10, just the other way.

$200 is fine, you should have bought it yourself.

As usual, I don´t place much value in Magic.
              fender aims at that, when they mention the reissue
              includes newly sourced yellow coupling capacitors chosen for authentic vintage Fender tone
              Well, that was a important factor ... did they care to use paper in oil instead of Polyester? ... I guess not.
              Did they include the Bluesy sounding Death Cap? .... ditto.

More imórtnt question: did they sell many Reissues?

I guess not that many
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I can't tell you how many times I've heard (paraphrasing), "I know it's not worth much. It's so old it still has tubes in it."
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Juan,

Being a broke student myself, I knew she could sell it o a collector for a lot more, ans I'm the one who has to live with my conscience for ripping off an ignorant customer. Now, had it been a music shop, no problem from me ripping them off if they don't do their homework.

Years ago, before I knew anything, an unscrupulous music store employee sold my ignorant parents a first-generation Valvestate as a "tube amp," to the tune of $1,000 used. That experience, being ripped off because of their ignorance, stuck with me, and I just can't return the favor to those who are ignorant of what they have. Yes, I could have got a Princeton for $200, but... I just didn't have the heart.

Justin
                  "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                  "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                  "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Oh, I do get it. A fool and his money, yada, yada. All those previous generations of humans probably didn't get their DNA into this era by giving even breaks. And no, I don't believe in "every kid gets a trophy" or "we don't even keep score" for children's sports. Hell, I don't even believe in karma. But I do have the unfortunate "do the right thing" gene (though I'll grant that there's a big gray band through the middle of it ).

When I was eighteen and looking for a used car I checked the classifieds early in the morning so I could be the first in on any deals. One morning I saw an ad that read (paraphrase) 1958 Imperial-some body damage-$800 ph###-###-#### Of course I called immediately and the sweet old lady on the phone said the car had been sitting for almost a decade because she doesn't drive and her husband bunged the fender on the side of the garage when he last parked it and figured it was a sign he shouldn't drive anymore. He had died and she decided to sell the car. I was at her door before 8:00 am. And there I was looking at a 1958 Chrysler Imperial WITH A HEMI that had always been garaged, had 82,000 original miles painted Stardust Blue and just a five inch scuffy ding in the front, left fender. And $800 cash in my pocket and a little devil on my shoulder... I told her that it wouldn't be right for me to buy the car because it was worth a whole lot more than she was asking. I told her to get it appraised and not to fall for any fast talk others answering the ad might try. She told me I was a nice, young man, we said goodbye and I left. I saw the car in an add in Hemi magazine a month later for $8000. The phone number was different so I called it to check if some huckster had taken the ignorant old gal for a ride. It was her son, who had handled the issue since getting a call the day I went to see the car. It felt pretty good actually.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      I saw the car in an add in Hemi magazine a month later for $8000. The phone number was different so I called it to check if some huckster had taken the ignorant old gal for a ride. It was her son, who had handled the issue since getting a call the day I went to see the car. It felt pretty good actually.
                      Wonder how much Sonny-boy gave Mom once he sold that gem. I'll bet . . . . . nothin'.

Now once again, back to the show already in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                        I politely (regretfully?) tell her she has an $1800 amp, then hope she'll lemme have it for $600... no luck.
                        Justin
                        You did the right thing. In an increasingly unethical world, you did the right thing. A couple of thousand bucks is a lot of money right now, but in ten years, a hundred times as much money will probably have flowed through your hands, and $2000 from ten years ago will have virtually no impact on your life. But you will still know, till the day you die, that you did the right thing by the owner of that Princeton Reverb.

If all of us begin to behave the way corporations do ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Corporation_(film) ), life will become a living hell for everyone.

-Gnobuddy

Comment

Originally posted by Gnobuddy View Post
                          If all of us begin to behave the way corporations do, life will become a living hell for everyone.
                          You say that like it hasn't already happened?!? Ok... Maybe we don't ALL behave like that. But I think a disproportionate amount of the people that control many of your circumstances do. And that's almost the same thing because it forces people into a moral corner where they must eat or be eaten. I'm afraid it's an unfortunate consequence of the normal human condition for a percentage of the population. Trying to encourage people to behave differently is like asking a crappy dog to stop barking all the damn time.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                            Juan,

Being a broke student myself, I knew she could sell it o a collector for a lot more, ans I'm the one who has to live with my conscience for ripping off an ignorant customer. Now, had it been a music shop, no problem from me ripping them off if they don't do their homework.

Years ago, before I knew anything, an unscrupulous music store employee sold my ignorant parents a first-generation Valvestate as a "tube amp," to the tune of $1,000 used. That experience, being ripped off because of their ignorance, stuck with me, and I just can't return the favor to those who are ignorant of what they have. Yes, I could have got a Princeton for $200, but... I just didn't have the heart.

Justin
                            I picked up a 1965 Epiphone acoustic Caballero at a garage sale back in the 90's for $5 and it was in really rough condition but solid as far as wood viability, no cracks or breaks. I had no idea at the time of the true value...I didn't research it until 6 months after I bought it. I had to put a new sleeve on one of the tuning machines and a new set of strings and it was ready to jam. Not that it really matters but at that time the value was around $600. I don't know what it is right now but I gave it to one of my sons anyway and he loves it. The original owners at the garage sale just wanted it gone, they didn't particularly like it or want if from my perspective while talking to them... so I don't feel bad at all about the deal.

Comment

I have ordered a https://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0217300
                              Fender '65 Twin Reverb Limited Edition Combo

I know I'll catch a lot of grief from some hardliners for going reissue but I can't shell out multiple thousands for the original period amp. I've been reading and hearing that there are some kits out there that I can possibly install to make it "more original"... what say you on that? And 1 - 2 - 3..... Here we go!

Comment

I've got similar deals where I was unaware of the value at the time. But if I had been, I would have been uncomfortable enough to let the seller know.
                                Originally posted by Enzo
                                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                                X